1998 F-800 weight

/ 1998 F-800 weight
To kinda continue the topic, how much worse is the turning radius of a medium duty 4x4 compared to its 2wd counterpart?

Also I never realized how much lower to the ground a factory 4x4 international is compared to a conversion Ford. Thanks for sharing the pictures Hay Dude.

The only reason I'm really considering this is because I found a screaming deal on the 4x4 F-800. It only has 40,000 miles and the local PSD is selling it for $8500.

/ 1998 F-800 weight #12  
I’ve never drove a 4x4 medium duty but my 2wd 6500 will flat turn. It’ll turn the same radius my suburban would.

/ 1998 F-800 weight #13  
To kinda continue the topic, how much worse is the turning radius of a medium duty 4x4 compared to its 2wd counterpart?

Also I never realized how much lower to the ground a factory 4x4 international is compared to a conversion Ford. Thanks for sharing the pictures Hay Dude.

The only reason I'm really considering this is because I found a screaming deal on the 4x4 F-800. It only has 40,000 miles and the local PSD is selling it for $8500.

Turning radius in THAT truck is bigger. IH seemed to be more reasonable, but still more than a 4x2. (When I was buying, I also looked at an F-800, too). I also worked for a guy who had one and I drove it for many years.
What I gained with my big 4x4 in off road capabilities, I gave back in on road turning radius, visibility and handling.
What you really need to be thinking about is repairs. That front axle can be very expensive to upkeep. I wouldnt be surprised if it needs ball joints. I did them on mine and it was costly. Also look for steering play.
The transfer cases tend to drip. Look underneath for leaks.

Look at the back of the cab where the frame goes underneath. If the cab sits about a foot over the frame, it has a cut frame. IH engineers their trucks in the factory to be a 4WD. Someone like Ford will send their trucks to Marmon Herrington to be converted from 4x2 to 4x4. They will cut the frame and stack it. I never much cared for that. Now some IH trucks have a stacked frame. Those are usually in the really big displacement diesels because the engine is too tall (or hangs too low) to clear the straight through front axle) OR the truck was a 4x2 and was sent in to be converted AFTER it was built.
I guess there’s a chance Ford will start building them in the factory with a straight through frame, but when I was looking, they did not. Freightliner is another option and their older trucks had the 8.3L option.

If you want a big 4x4, IH with DT power is the way to go. I know the 8.3L Cummins is a real sweet engine, but the DT 466/530 is pretty close. My perfect truck would be a IH 7600 with an 8.3L at 330HP Allison MD 3560 and a straight through frame.

Last edited:
   / 1998 F-800 weight #14  
There aren稚 many big motor single axel dumps to be had at any price. But you can buy pretty clean road tractors with big motors for $5000. I was thinking about buying one and putting a dump on it.

My Canadian cousin cut off the sleeper of a road tractor, which gave him enough room for a grain box. Riveted a new sheet of aluminium on the back of the daycab and there it was.

Here in Europe you dont have such deep sleeper cabs, so road tractors arent suitable for conversion without frame extension (which would require a heavy dump subframe, or an inner chassis liner