2007 Toolcat - no traction, stiff suspension, differential lock?

/ 2007 Toolcat - no traction, stiff suspension, differential lock? #11  
its been a few years since I looked at the locking axle but this is how I recall it, the wheels have to be straight and normal steer setting, low speed and on mine it was hit and miss, my rear left steering was not aligned due to changing the bearings on the pinions, the original bearings were seized solid and axle would not turn,

short story the wheel alignment is a potentiometer on the knuckle, I spent a few hours tinkering to get it to light with wheel straight, its not as simple as it seems the dealer can set it but a few hundred dollars.

locking is by hydraulic pressure to the axle, front and rear can be locked as they are the same they do not run the line to front. I played some with a hand pump and successfully locked the axle manually, planned on adding a Tee to lock the front but when the drive motor started floating I traded it off.

the service manual had the details in how the locking works but I sent it with the trade.

not sure I would weld it could end up with a whole new issue thats not reversible

/ 2007 Toolcat - no traction, stiff suspension, differential lock?
Actually got more time on the ToolCat last week. Just had a new dump bed made for it. The original was a rusted mess. Like everyone states, when the 2 wheel steering is on and the rear wheels are straight, I actually could tell a difference. Still had to be careful with unlevel ground, but something actually seems to be improving traction in the rear. could be the added weight I had in the bed even. Everyone keeps saying there is a line running to the rear axle, but I can't find it. Even the service manual only talks about a "brake" line. Nothing about a differential hydraulic line. I am thinking maybe my series didn't have that option. Looks to be some type of auto locker like in a car, where it may limit slip if the conditions are perfect.

/ 2007 Toolcat - no traction, stiff suspension, differential lock? #13  
my 2005 series A had the diff lock, solid axle, its been a few years since I played with it but both front and rear axle are the same, both can be locked and I did use a portapower to lock the front, at that time I was going to add a tee to the line and valve so when stuck I could lock both axles, I did a post on this at that time

My service manual had some info in there but I passed it on to the new owner, I will look on line for it again and see what is there

here is one discussion toolcat 5600 diff lock.

Last edited:
   / 2007 Toolcat - no traction, stiff suspension, differential lock?
Update... First off, I wanted to say thanks to aelsnow for the new rear fenders. His generosity and contribution to my project can not be overstated.

Last night I removed the front wheels to get new tires on them and actually got a chance to mess around with the A arms. For the several months that I have owned the machine, the arms have yet to move. They have been resting on the stops since day one. Even when lifting the front end in the air.

So last night I started removing the shock bolts/nuts and A arm bolts/nuts to see what I could find. Amazingly when I got to the 4th and final bolt for the Driver side A arm and started to loosen it up, the entire assembly "popped" and returned to its normal unloaded state. I proceeded to remove each bolt, apply grease and reinstall. Does anyone know of any other way to lubricate these joints. I don't see any zerk fittings.

Same thing happened on the Passenger side. Unfortunately on the passenger side the rubber bump stops stayed with the A-arm because the bolts that hold them to the mount had rusted out of the rubber mounts. I imaging the drivers sides are close. Will work on replacing those next.

I am anxious to get the new tires under it and see what happens when I set it back down.

Attachments

• a arms.JPG
    a arms.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 112