2012 Mahindra Max 22 Will Not Start, Electrical Problems. Not Safety Switch Related.

/ 2012 Mahindra Max 22 Will Not Start, Electrical Problems. Not Safety Switch Related. #1  

Loose2009

Tractor
2012 Mahindra Max 22 HST
I am having electrical issues with my 2012 Mahindra Max 22 HST. Dealer is closed today, and I do not have a service manual. Why you cannot purchase an electronic version of these online is beyond me. Anyways, I was hoping to maybe get some help while waiting for the dealer to open. Issues are highlighted below.

Issues
- Fuel and Temp Gauges not registering
- Turn signals do not work
- Glow plug light does not illuminate
- No clicking when key is turned to accessory. I believe this is the fuel pump that makes this sound before starting to automatically remove air from the fuel system.
What works
- Starter turns over, but engine will not run. (white smoke comes from exhaust while turning over)
- Hazards
- Headlights
What's Been Checked
- Safety cut-out switches have been ruled out (starter turns over)
- All fuses have been checked with Multi-meter (Fuse block, and both 50amp fuses)
- Removed Dash and found mice nest inside, which was subsequently removed also. Did not find any signs of damage to wiring from the little beasts.

With no wiring diagram, its difficult to determine where the issue might be at. I do not have much experience working on tractors. Surely all the electrical issues must share some kind of common connection, relay, etc. All these issues happened at once. Any help would be appreciated. Tractor has about 1200 hours on it, and is stored inside.

/ 2012 Mahindra Max 22 Will Not Start, Electrical Problems. Not Safety Switch Related. #2  
A wild guess, but if all your issues started all at once, and you found a mice mess anywhere near wiring, I bet somewhere mice have chewed in some wiring. I suggest carefully following all wiring you can looking for damage.

/ 2012 Mahindra Max 22 Will Not Start, Electrical Problems. Not Safety Switch Related.
When I found the mice nest I figured that was culprit. However, I was unable to find any damage from mice. Nothing was chewed on and after pulling apart connections the contacts were free of corrosion.

/ 2012 Mahindra Max 22 Will Not Start, Electrical Problems. Not Safety Switch Related. #4  
Believe it’s from a Max 26 but should be the same.
image1.jpeg

/ 2012 Mahindra Max 22 Will Not Start, Electrical Problems. Not Safety Switch Related. #5  
Check all wiring harness connectors for signs of moisture or corrosion. Common problem on the Max models. They did a lousy job with the wiring on these otherwise good tractors.

/ 2012 Mahindra Max 22 Will Not Start, Electrical Problems. Not Safety Switch Related. #6  
If you are checking all connectors on your wiring, do yourself a huge favor and pick up some dielectric grease and put a small ribbon on each connector that is in good shape as you put it back together. This should help greatly with corrosion and water.
Dielectric grease can be found st any big box store that carries electrical supplies as well as parts stores.

/ 2012 Mahindra Max 22 Will Not Start, Electrical Problems. Not Safety Switch Related.
Check all wiring harness connectors for signs of moisture or corrosion. Common problem on the Max models. They did a lousy job with the wiring on these otherwise good tractors.

You were right on the money. My harness had some moisture build-up inside where it turns and goes inside the engine compartment. This is a low point and the moisture was trapped inside. This is the spot where I found a bad connection. There was a decent amount of work to get to the harness, and having the front end loader attached didn't make it any easier. All that could have been avoided with some of adhesive lined shrink tube which would add cents to the price of the tractor. Instead there's a bunch of multi-tap splices wrapped with electrical tape. Its been a great tractor so far, but am a little disappointed at the lack foresight in the wiring.

If you are checking all connectors on your wiring, do yourself a huge favor and pick up some dielectric grease and put a small ribbon on each connector that is in good shape as you put it back together. This should help greatly with corrosion and water.
Dielectric grease can be found st any big box store that carries electrical supplies as well as parts stores.

Luckily, I have a plenty of die-electric grease on the bucket truck park in the driveway. One of the perks of running trouble calls for the local electric company :thumbsup:. A little tid-bit of info related to dielectric grease. Make sure you check the label, certain types are not made for "flat" connections. The grit in the grease can can limit contact between the surfaces of flat connector. That type is for crimped connections only, ie sleeves, H-taps, etc.

And big thanks to doneill127 for the wiring diagram. Made it much easier to isolate the problem area.

/ 2012 Mahindra Max 22 Will Not Start, Electrical Problems. Not Safety Switch Related. #8  
You were right on the money. My harness had some moisture build-up inside where it turns and goes inside the engine compartment. This is a low point and the moisture was trapped inside. This is the spot where I found a bad connection. There was a decent amount of work to get to the harness, and having the front end loader attached didn't make it any easier. All that could have been avoided with some of adhesive lined shrink tube which would add cents to the price of the tractor. Instead there's a bunch of multi-tap splices wrapped with electrical tape. Its been a great tractor so far, but am a little disappointed at the lack foresight in the wiring.

Luckily, I have a plenty of die-electric grease on the bucket truck park in the driveway. One of the perks of running trouble calls for the local electric company :thumbsup:. A little tid-bit of info related to dielectric grease. Make sure you check the label, certain types are not made for "flat" connections. The grit in the grease can can limit contact between the surfaces of flat connector. That type is for crimped connections only, ie sleeves, H-taps, etc.

And big thanks to doneill127 for the wiring diagram. Made it much easier to isolate the problem area.

Good point in the dielectric grease for crimped connectors. I never buy that type and forgot. Besides I am not a big fan of crimp connectors.

/ 2012 Mahindra Max 22 Will Not Start, Electrical Problems. Not Safety Switch Related. #9  
Believe it’s from a Max 26 but should be the same.
View attachment 665813
My eMax 22 HST has a 40A and 2-50A fuses. This diagram doesn't show a 40A fuse. I have a hard short that is blowing the 40A every time I turn the key (not to start it, just turn it to warm the plugs). Anyone have a diagram that shows a 40A fuse. I am trying to determine where to look for possible shorts or bad components.

/ 2012 Mahindra Max 22 Will Not Start, Electrical Problems. Not Safety Switch Related. #10  
eMax tractors are not the same as the Max series. The Max and some of the other smaller Mahindras are MHI machines from Japan. Believe the eMax is Korean made by TYM I believe. So the referenced wiring diagram is not applicable. Sorry