2015 John Deere Ztrak Z950R PTO Will Not Engage

/ 2015 John Deere Ztrak Z950R PTO Will Not Engage #1  

paoutdoorsman

Tractor
JD 2305
I have a troublesome Z950R that the PTO will not engage. The code flashed when attempting to engage is 5-6. The problem was originally intermittent and only when warm. Letting the mower sit overnight or for several hours generally resolved the issue for a while. I assumed the pull type switch was to blame, so I replaced it with the updated rocker switch and harness adapter from John Deere. That seemed to cure the issue for a couple weeks. Now the PTO will not engage regardless of what I do.

- The PTO clutch ohms at 5.3.
- I have power to the switch before attempting engagement, and power coming out of the switch after engagement.
- I am not receiving power at the two wire connector at the clutch - whether connected or disconnected.

Ideas on what else I should be looking for? Any help appreciated.

/ 2015 John Deere Ztrak Z950R PTO Will Not Engage #2  
You have a broken wire some place. and the electricity is leaking out. (kidding) But there does seem to be a broken wire.

Do you have the owners or service manual ? Could be a fuse or a circuit breaker issue. Also some manufactures put fusible links in the wiring. If you have the manual, the wiring diagram will show if there are any fusible links.

/ 2015 John Deere Ztrak Z950R PTO Will Not Engage
Found where the electricity was leaking out ;). Had a burned connector where the sub-harness connected to the clutch. Pulled the clutch and measured the resistance on the connector pins directly rather than through the sub-harness and the resistance was 2.0. I replaced the PTO clutch sub-harness. Resistance dropped from 5.3 to 2.0 at the sub-harness connector. It's working like a champ now.

/ 2015 John Deere Ztrak Z950R PTO Will Not Engage #4  
Good news and nice work.