2020 Solenoid

/ 2020 Solenoid #1  

DogT

Silver Member
Tractor
JD2020
Oh, boy it never ends. After the injectors, the fuel filter, the radiator this summer, I go out to start it after the snow yesterday and 'click', 'click'. So I figure the battery contacts need cleaning. Clean all 4 of them and same thing. So I get the voltmeter out and measure voltage while trying to start. from ground to each battery, 13.1V while trying to start. Measure down on the solenoid. 13.1v. measure the output of solenoid, 0.1v. Go have lunch, think about it. Go back, remove the solenoid, bring it up to the house and take it apart. Lots of dark material in there. I clean up all the bronze nuts and that circle contact, plus the starter strap bolt. Put it all back together and bingo. Starts right up. But anyhow with the new injectors, it runs so good it seems too good, like something is wrong. Just my imagination. Anyhow it's all back together and running before dark. Time for Jamesons.

When does it end?

/ 2020 Solenoid #2  
With old tractors it never does, that is the challenge, keeping them running and in dependable condition will test your abilities and give you satisfaction. That is what keeps me interested in the old ones.

/ 2020 Solenoid #3  
IIRC the circle contact can be removed and turned 180° to get more life out of it. You could (maybe not anymore?) buy individual parts for the solenoid from JD dealer.
If you have not done so already, extend your battery grounds from the battery box sheet metal to the engine block. I used the fuel filter mount bolt.

/ 2020 Solenoid
That circle contact would rotate freely, not that it was loose on the shaft. It looked like it had been sort of self rotating. The 2 contact bolts I rotated. Yeah, I should add a ground from the battery ground on the sheet metal to the engine somewhere. I also should buy a new positive wire from the battery to the solenoid. It has one of those replacement battery connectors at the battery end and I seem to have to clean it once in a while.

/ 2020 Solenoid #5  
OK, I was thinking of the bolts for circle contact, since the inside contact of the bolt is round.