3” ball round Gooseneck hitch ?

/ 3” ball round Gooseneck hitch ? #21  
Same here. I bet a 3" would stop just about anybody from borrowing that trailer.

/ 3” ball round Gooseneck hitch ?
Well you learn something everyday, I have never even heard of a 3" ball, I thought all goosenecks were 2&5/16.

so about 5 years ago Ram crossed the 40,000lb GCWR for towing.
Very roughly speaking, that meant a 10,000lb truck could now tow a 30,000lb trailer.
2&5/16” ball is maxed-out at 30,000lbs
So they jumped up to offering a 3” ball, which has a much higher load capacity.
I am routinely pulling 34,000lbs, so for safety’s sake, I bought a 38,000 GVWR trailer with a 3” square coupler and a 3” ball with 50k frame mounted hitch.
My hitch has a convert a ball feature, so I can use a 2&5/16” for a smaller gooseneck with a round tube coupler.

/ 3” ball round Gooseneck hitch ? #23  
so about 5 years ago Ram crossed the 40,000lb GCWR for towing.
Very roughly speaking, that meant a 10,000lb truck could now tow a 30,000lb trailer.
2&5/16” ball is maxed-out at 30,000lbs
So they jumped up to offering a 3” ball, which has a much higher load capacity.
I am routinely pulling 34,000lbs, so for safety’s sake, I bought a 38,000 GVWR trailer with a 3” square coupler and a 3” ball with 50k frame mounted hitch.
My hitch has a convert a ball feature, so I can use a 2&5/16” for a smaller gooseneck with a round tube coupler.
Yep, things are always evolving, with that kind of weight behind a one ton, I hope trailer brakes are evolving as well. 😁

Yep, things are always evolving, with that kind of weight behind a one ton, I hope trailer brakes are evolving as well. 😁
It’s on their 4500/5500 which got more weight, and bigger brakes with a lot more stopping power than the 1-tons.
Honestly with the integrated 2-position exhaust brake, transmission downshifting, 4.88’s and bigger brakes, stopping a 35,000lb trailer is very easy.

/ 3” ball round Gooseneck hitch ? #25  
No
What Im looking for is on the trailer side, not the truck side.
For example, lets say you have a 3” ball already set up in your truck bed.
You buy a gooseneck trailer with a 2&5/16” hitch on it.
How would you convert it (trailer) to 3”?

From everything I see, trailers with round tube receivers are 2&5/16”. Only square has 3”.
Heres my Kaufman with 3”
Notice the hitch is square, not round tube.

View attachment 736139

So what I am trying to figure out is how to purchase a GN trailer with a round 2&5/16” receiver and convert it to 3”

My Elite horse trailer has a round tube and is 2 5/16, my Kaufman 24’ deckover has a square tube and is also 2 5/16. I think Kaufman just uses a square tube, because it is cost efficient.

/ 3” ball round Gooseneck hitch ? #26  
Same here. I bet a 3" would stop just about anybody from borrowing that trailer.

Most gooseneck hitches have interchangeable balls. So all you need is the 3” ball. Takes about 30 seconds to change. Now the newer truck have 3” tow receivers on the back to bumper tow over 20,000 lbs. this will stop some. Most people don’t want to borrow a trailer that can carry 20,000+ lbs.

My Elite horse trailer has a round tube and is 2 5/16, my Kaufman 24’ deckover has a square tube and is also 2 5/16. I think Kaufman just uses a square tube, because it is cost efficient.
I wish they all would. That way we could have the option of a 2&5/16” or 3” square coupler.
I notice a few other trailer brands will use square tube.