3 brush generator to replace a 2 brush?

/ 3 brush generator to replace a 2 brush? #1  

Hammbone

Bronze Member
Tractor
'51 Ford 8n
A friend of mine recently gave me a 3 brush generator removed from a 9N when converting his tractor to a 12v system. He said it worked before removal, and upon further inspection the field coils, and brushes look to be new. The armature looks like it is either new or freshly polished up as well. it needs a new pulley, and the bearings are starting to show a little play, but other than that looks like a solid genny. With that said however, my tractor ('51 8N) is currently equiped with a 2 brush gen and voltage regulator. Would I be crazy to replace the 2 brush with a 3 brush? Would i have to change out the voltage regulator for cutout relay, or would the voltage regulator be able to work with this as well? 9n generator 1.jpg9n armature 1.jpg9n generator 2.jpg

Last edited:
   / 3 brush generator to replace a 2 brush? #2  
i'm trying to figure out why you might want to take a step backwards?

the 2 brush genny has field regulation. the 3 brush you manually have to adjust.

to answer the question.. yes.. if you can get it mounted. it will work electrically.

even with your old vreg. just use the armature and battery lines. remove field wire.

/ 3 brush generator to replace a 2 brush?
It's not that I want to take a step backwards, but right now the two brush genny isn't producing voltage and needs to be overhauled. There three brush genny I was given for free and looks to be freshly rebuilt and in working order. If I could put it on the tractor on the cheap to keep it runnin while I have the two brush off for repairs, that would be ideal.

/ 3 brush generator to replace a 2 brush?
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the currently installed 2 brush is non functioning...

/ 3 brush generator to replace a 2 brush? #5  
the 2 brush unless busted beyond rebuild should rebuild in an hour... but as said. if you can mount it and can deal with the amp output and manual 3rd brush.. it will work using the cutout on your existing reg, run in 2 wire mode.

/ 3 brush generator to replace a 2 brush? #6  
I’m also trying to install a 3 brush generator on my 1948 8N that was originally equipped with a 2 brush generator, I can’t figure out how or where to hook up the generator ground wire on the generator, does it just get screwed to the generators case?

/ 3 brush generator to replace a 2 brush? #7  
I’m also trying to install a 3 brush generator on my 1948 8N that was originally equipped with a 2 brush generator, I can’t figure out how or where to hook up the generator ground wire on the generator, does it just get screwed to the generators case?

/ 3 brush generator to replace a 2 brush? #8  
The old generator appears to be a 3 brush generator also, but it has 3 wires running to it like a 2 brush generator it has a field and a ground wire running to it, but the new 3 brush generator doesn’t have connections for them🤷🏻‍♂️