3016 / 2516

/ 3016 / 2516 #11  
I can't speak to the hills, but I can speak to the shuttle shift. My 2516 has shuttle shift, and you just have to use the clutch and break together. The easiest way to do this is set the throttle up and then no worries. Once you get the rhythm of the clutch and brake, hills are not an issue. The brakes are just part of the equation, where with the HST not so much.

Even so, I would not have purchased an HST. It may sound funny, but I like a gear tractor. The shuttle makes back and forth loader work a breeze.

As far as purchasing, the only thing I can say about the 2516 vs the 3016 is the size of the tractor itself. The smaller 2516 is great for tight spaces, but larger implements make themselves known.
First rule of buying is get as much tractor as you can afford. Sometimes I wonder if I should have gotten the 2816 (very much like the 3016), just due to the difference in size. Engines are the same, but the larger footprint would handle the implements better.
That said, the 2516 has done just about everything I have asked of it, with no problems.
Just my two cents....

/ 3016 / 2516
Thank you for the reply. My wife also read your post. We have been thinking about the 3016 in a shuttle shift because of stability. We still have another week or two to let the dealer know. Your post has definately helped us. :thumbsup:

/ 3016 / 2516 #13  
I have a 2816 in HST.

Great tractor. My dealer said its the same as the 3016 but an older model.

I always had gear tractors but really like.the hydro for loader work and snow removal.

I live on a mountain with a very steep 1000 foot driveway. Never even have to use the brakes as just letting off the hydro will stop you.

Love it for summer mowing also.....you can creep along through rough spots easier.

Good luck!

/ 3016 / 2516 #14  
Hi Chalie, I have the 3316 shuttle and I skid logs to my sawmill with my tractor, down a steep mountain road. I drop the transmission in low and creep down the hill. I actually have 8 foward gears too choose from. I like the total control. I have used hydro at work and it is good if you are going to do a lot of back and forth, but I feel it is not worth the extra cost if you just need a tractor for mowing and everyday task. As far as quality the Mahindra 16 series is a great little tractor and I would buy one again. Just my 2 cents worth. Jim :)

/ 3016 / 2516
Thanks Jim,

We ordered the 2516 with hst. It was a leftover but since they could not obtain a backhoe to April they are giving me a new hst with the hoe already installed at the same price. I went with hst due to the tight woods, and my wife using it regularly. They will have the machine tomorrow and just need to fit the pto for the blower and install the mechanical thumb on the backhoe. The dealer has been excellent to deal with. They gave me top dollar for my trade too. I could not ask for more out of it. I can not wait until we get this tractor. We really could use the capabilties of the new one. I do want to eventually get a bucket extension for it to help with brush and such.

/ 3016 / 2516 #16  
A friend of mine has the 2516 and he loves it. I was actually talking to him yesterday and he said if he had it to do again he would buy the same tractor again. Enjoy the country life, there is no better way to live. Jim

/ 3016 / 2516
Thanks Jim,

My wife is all for this purchase. I get nervous on large purchases. Especially since my current machine is payed off. I am glad to hear there are no issues with this unit and everyone likes them. I looked at the Kubota to give it another chance, but honestly there is not much comparison. I just can not wait to get everything here and get it working. We will probably take delivery next Wednesday. :thumbsup:

/ 3016 / 2516
Here are the pics for the new tractor. It is still waiting for the thumb to be installed but should be here by Wednesday or Thursday.

Attachments

• New Tractor 1.jpg
    New Tractor 1.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 758
  • Tractor 2.jpg
    Tractor 2.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 2,736
  • New Tractor 2.jpg
    New Tractor 2.jpg
    530.2 KB · Views: 1,326
   / 3016 / 2516 #19  
the 3016 is a good tractor and will do any thing you ask it i dont know about the 2516 the 3016 struggles with brushhog abit