3510i no electrical power

/ 3510i no electrical power #1  

cpocobb

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 3510
My 05 or 06 3510i has no electrical power to anything. No lights on the dash, horn,lights, etc. Nothing. It started out as an intermittent problem that would resolve if I moved (jiggled) the large, white multi wire connector on the left side near the fuse panel under the hood. It would happen only occasionally at first, but got worse with time. Yesterday, it turned over for about 1-2 seconds, and went dead. I opened and thoroughly cleaned the multi wire connector, tested both of the fusible links near the starter, and cleaned the battery connections. The battery is charged. I’m at my wits end, and have focused on and around the connector that jiggling previously helped. Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated!

/ 3510i no electrical power #2  
Giving you a list of "i had that problem and xx cured it" take's two pages for all possabilities and will do little good so (A) Clean BOTH ENDS of both cables. (B) Find and test main fuse. (C) Get yourself a multimeter and/or test light and start tracing. If it's any comfort,totally dead is far easier to find and fix than only one or two things not working.

/ 3510i no electrical power
Giving you a list of "i had that problem and xx cured it" take's two pages for all possabilities and will do little good so (A) Clean BOTH ENDS of both cables. (B) Find and test main fuse. (C) Get yourself a multimeter and/or test light and start tracing. If it's any comfort,totally dead is far easier to find and fix than only one or two things not working.
Thanks. I have a multimeter, and don’t look forward to tracking down this Gremlin. My cables are clean and tight at both ends. I’m hoping someone else has had a similar problem and can point me in a more specific direction. If there’s a main fuse, I don’t know where it is to test it. Does anybody know on this tractor? Nothing shows up on the wiring diagram in the parts manual, but it’s pretty generic (and near useless)!

/ 3510i no electrical power #4  
Non of us look foward getting hands dirty troubleshooting but it come's down to either trying or taking it to a mechanic . If I had the ability to know which out of dozens of posabilities are responsible with the amount of info furnished,I could become a millionair sitting in my reclainer. I think several here would like a dollar for every time someone claimed to have cleaned cables and tested grounds turned out to be untrue. Even the best mechanics have to systematicly test and use process of elimination to find problems. Since you have already used your multimeter,anything suggested will likly be redundant of what you have already done.

/ 3510i no electrical power #5  
Most electrical problems end up being just bad grounds. I would check all of the grounds and make sure they are clean and making good contact.

/ 3510i no electrical power #6  
Finding electrical problems can be difficult and require a good deal of common sense. Finding a wiring diagram might be the first step. Use the volt setting on you multimeter and start checking the up the positive circuit until you find where the voltage has stopped. Quite often the ignition switch fails. That would be my first guess, if ! had to guess. What is that white multiiwire connector? What does it connect?

/ 3510i no electrical power
Life has sidelined me for a while, but I’m working on my tractor again. I think I have a bad ignition switch. I took it apart, (yes, it’s possible) and cleaned it up. One of the contacts is grooved, and I suspect it’s no longer making good contact. I couldn’t do anything about that, but when I reinstalled it, everything worked but my pto. I removed and tested the pto coil, and it’s good. I put 12 volts from the battery to it, and it worked. BUT, it has 10 volts coming into it from the pto switch to BOTH terminals. Shouldn’t one of them be neutral?

/ 3510i no electrical power #8  
when I reinstalled it, everything worked but my pto. I removed and tested the pto coil, and it’s good. I put 12 volts from the battery to it, and it worked. BUT, it has 10 volts coming into it from the pto switch to BOTH terminals. Shouldn’t one of them be neutral?
To get an accurate reading disconnect leads at clutch if there's a plug. Test each wire with one vom lead to wire and other to a clean spot on tractor frame/engine. If there's still 10v on both,there's a problem that might be elusive. If you get 10v on one wire and 0v on other,there's a poor + connection somewhere. Likely switch or relay.

/ 3510i no electrical power #9  
Not sure if you have downloaded the manual or not. Here is a screenshot of the PTO pages.
BCDF2DA6-EF5E-4D31-A24A-BBD3DE47A53F.png

/ 3510i no electrical power #10  
cobb,

Look at the wiring diagram K5 posted. Depending on which pins you're measuring, the 10v maybe supposed to be there.

The "neutral" is probably coming through chassis ground, with a negative dc voltage system.