3pt trailer hitches

/ 3pt trailer hitches #1  

SirFallalot

Tractor
Hinomoto C144
Hey all,

I'm going to build a 3pt cross/drawbar to leave on the tractor when nothing else is on for lifting/pushing/pulling small stuff around.
While searching for ideas, I've come across ones with clevis for skidding logs (I've already read about the dangers of that) and trailer hitches attached, isn't this plain asking for trouble? Even with perfect circumstances and level ground, any braking will cause the trailer to push the arms up? Is there a reason people do this instead of using the actual drawbar, as a "quick fix" for tractors that don't have a hydraulic drawbar pin (not sure what there are called)?

/ 3pt trailer hitches #2  
Yep. You can back up to a trailer and lift it. I do it all the time when I need to move a trailer out of the way. Back up, hook it, lift it and move it and never get off. Course all of my trailers have tongue weight.

/ 3pt trailer hitches
Yep. You can back up to a trailer and lift it. I do it all the time when I need to move a trailer out of the way. Back up, hook it, lift it and move it and never get off. Course all of my trailers have tongue weight.
Well I can't disagree with that or the usefulness, on my uneven ground it's always a bit of a chore (un)hooking up the trailer. But do you do this purely for "moving it out of the way", or for any actually distance or loaded trailing?

/ 3pt trailer hitches #5  
If I had flat land and trailers to shuffle around (not haul), I would build something like this to keep trailers from bouncing off the ball with the coupler unlatched.

A hitch insert with a strap passing about a 1/4 inch over the ball. The strap free to rotate by the action of a tall handle for the operator to reach. Maybe some short pins to make a lift, turn, and lock motion.

trailer-hitch-insert.png

Bruce

Last edited:
   / 3pt trailer hitches #6  
The king Kutter trailer movers come with a chain that you are supposed to use to anchor the hitch down. You can use the 3pt to scoop the trailer up and the chain to keep the hitch down.

However trailers should have tongue weight for proper balance when towing (9-15%) this would keep the tongue down for just jocking trailers around. If your loading and unloading trailers, or doing some more serious work, chaining it down, or using a stay strap to hold it down.

/ 3pt trailer hitches #7  
I use this every week to move 2 empty trailers during mowing season, don't bother with the safety latch.
20140905_123006.jpg

A properly adjusted latch will hold to the ball. I have seen a mini van with an enclosed trailer, both upside down. The trailer hitch was holding the rear of the van off of the interstate.