430 rear axle seal replacement

/ 430 rear axle seal replacement #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
I had the 430 that chattered thread. Seems my primary issue is a turnbuckle that loosened and changed the way things worked!

Part II is that I was having dirt dry/crust on the wheel rims so I knew I had a slight leak of hydraulic fluid so now is the time to try to fix it.

I've got the rear of machine off, and obviously, wheel off. I had already done the other side (which probably took me 3-4 hours as I learned the process..... AND figured out the tool requirements) This side only took 'about' an hour now that I had the process and tools figured out.

1.jpg

The target of my attention is the seal you can see where the axle goes through.

2.jpg

Speaking of tools, one of the things the manual lists specifically for this job is a slide hammer with two fingers to reach inside the seal to yank it out. Guess what I don't have? I DO however, have one of those removes that is a handle with a hook on the end. I forget what it's called....but I FINALLY found it in the deep bowels of my tool chest. It was a failure. Not only was it not budging the seals, it was nicking the flat mating surface between what you see above and the rest of the axle housing. So, I had to contemplate a plan "B".

This is plan B. I've got a three prong pully puller. Found it, took two arms off. Grabbed a combo wrench where they'd fit through
3.jpg

Let's see....if I slide it over....nope, won't fit. I've got to wiggle them in one at a time. Now it won't fit inside the seal. I need to remove the bolt and wiggle things so I can get the hooks inside the seal and through the wrench, THEN put the bolt back in. Got it!

4.jpg

Kind of like this.... then align the hooks on the outside with the wrench and then grab my three pound hammer.

5.jpg

Give it about three whacks and viola! Seal is removed and I've not scarred up the flat surfaces. (spring is part of the seal that I pulled out of the way)

6.jpg

Got it done and put things together only to find that I broke (what turned out to be dry rotted) the hose connecting the transmission fluid to the site glass. So I can't (won't) put the new fluid back in until I get that fixed. Also, I noticed the diesel tank over flow tube was also dry rotted so it's on the list to be replaced.

Working out of house today so not able to get to hydraulic shop to get these for a day or three BUT, I'm 99% sure I'm ready to go mowing again.

/ 430 rear axle seal replacement #2  
(y)(y)(y) Clever work-around to get the job done.

Amazing the things we discover when there is a need, and when the rear deck over the wheels and tranny are removed.

Thanks for posting the fix with the details. Helpful to others in TBN

/ 430 rear axle seal replacement
Thanks, I also thought it was pretty clever when the idea came to me. Wasn't sure it would work in practice but felt in theory it should.... and then it did. So I thought I'd share it in case someone ran into similar situation, maybe they'd recall what I did.