48” Tiller suggestions for GC 1705

/ 48” Tiller suggestions for GC 1705 #1  

Lucky Man

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC 1705
New to the site and proud to say I just bought my first tractor last week. It’s a 2017 bought new in 2019, has 76 hours and came bare. I’m looking to buy a 48” Tiller and would like to know what others recommend. For the same or similar tractor.

The main reason I bought it is to prep food plots and my Top 3 questions are:
1. Reverse Rotation or Forward?
2. Gear or chain driven?
3. Brand

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 5EE5339D-1B42-460E-BB3E-6F6EFFF47F09.jpeg
    5EE5339D-1B42-460E-BB3E-6F6EFFF47F09.jpeg
    482 KB · Views: 65
   / 48” Tiller suggestions for GC 1705 #2  
I picked up a used Woods GTC40 some years back; it's very well made (oil-filled gearbox) and works very well. My 2310 pulls it fine.

mounted tiller.JPG

/ 48” Tiller suggestions for GC 1705 #3  
The main reason I bought it is to prep food plots and my Top 3 questions are:
1. Reverse Rotation or Forward?
2. Gear or chain driven?

1. Forward Rotation. A subcompact tractor does not have enough weight to pull a reverse rotation roto-tiller forward with reverse rotating tines opposing forward movement. I am pretty sure I am correct posting that no one makes a reverse rotation tiller in 48" width for subcompact tractors.

C-tine tillers vs L-tine tillers: roto tillers c-tine vs l-tine site:tractorbynet.com

Buy a good Lopper, sized to reach into the tiller drum, to cut vines and roots.

2. Either. While there is a perception that somehow gear is better I do not buy it. Chain drive is ample for light tractors. Some heavy, commercial rototillers are chain driven because chain drive produces less heat, hence less heat accumulation in the tiller.

Woods equipment is well regarded here.

I recommend a $10 soil test before you seed. If your seed is not matched to your soil pH seed germination will be disappointing.

Consider a Ratchet Rake bucket attachment for use while tilling food plots.

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ratchet+rake+grading

If you add your LOCATION to your T-B-N PROFILE, so your location shows with every post you make, you will receive responses more tailored to your location. You will not want to pay for 2,500 miles of shipping on a tiller.....

Last edited:
   / 48” Tiller suggestions for GC 1705 #4  
I have a 48” King Kutter gear drive. Used relatively hard for 6 years, both in our farmette and commercially, no issues, it leaks a bit at the gear box to time shaft seal, so I too it off occasionally.

I would not buy one of the ones that are made lighter for the sub compacts.