5083E cold start sensor

/ 5083E cold start sensor #1  

Jethro w

Tractor
john Deere 5083E
every time I turn key fuse blows

/ 5083E cold start sensor #2  
Unplug sensor.
When it fails, it fails in a shorted position. Can’t just replace fuse.
Leave sensor unplugged until you get a new one. Tractor may start a little harder in cold weather with it unplugged.

/ 5083E cold start sensor #3  
Welcome to TBN
Rig up a 12v bulb to stick in place of the fuse. When there is a short, that bulb will be lit.
As suggested, pull the sensor and if the light bulb goes out, you have identified where the short is at.

Rig I made up to test for shorts. Has saved a lot of time looking for shorts.. especially the one wire above a headliner going to the tail lights.

Attachments

• Short_jig.jpg
    Short_jig.jpg
    692.6 KB · Views: 88
   / 5083E cold start sensor

Welcome to TBN
Rig up a 12v bulb to stick in place of the fuse. When there is a short, that bulb will be lit.
As suggested, pull the sensor and if the light bulb goes out, you have identified where the short is at.

Rig I made up to test for shorts. Has saved a lot of time looking for shorts.. especially the one wire above a headliner going to the tail lights.
thank you for great advice. where would I locate this sensor on the tractor?

/ 5083E cold start sensor
Unplug sensor.
When it fails, it fails in a shorted position. Can’t just replace fuse.
Leave sensor unplugged until you get a new one. Tractor may start a little harder in cold weather with it unplugged.
your great advice is much appreciated! where would I locate this sensor on tractor?

/ 5083E cold start sensor #6  
The one on my 5310 was wired to the fuel shutoff stud on the injector pump. There were 2 wires on it, one coming from the start circuit and one going to the cold start sensor. I just lifted that wire. It was still off when I sold my tractor.

/ 5083E cold start sensor #7  
I had the same problem on my 2011 JD 5093E but it was the coolant temperature sensor. How did you narrow it down to the cold start sensor? Just curious.

/ 5083E cold start sensor #8  
Put in forward or reverse and switch on. If it does not blow that fuse...unplug the neutral switch under the left footboaard and check again.
That neutralswitch is trubblesome.

/ 5083E cold start sensor #9  
I believe you are referring to the cold start sensor on the left side of engine near the front, look for the big coolant hose coming down. The same happened to our 5520 and we replaced it. Common problem on the 5000 series.