5200 vs 5640 fuel used

/ 5200 vs 5640 fuel used #1  

hawksson

Tractor
jd 990 kubota 5640 kubota mx5200
my older 5640 is usually used for mowing... manual transmission and very stingy on fuel...

my newer 5200 is usually used for FEL and grapple work... i love it... it's a hoss... stingy fuel use at low rpms... however..
i've now put the same mowers (brush hog and finishing mower ) behind the 5200 and it works fine... BUT the fuel gauge drops fast!
i'd guess i'm burning double the fuel or worse on the 5200.... doesn't make sense to me...

except maybe the hydraulic hst system has to keep it running faster to run the pto and drive and steering? comments?

/ 5200 vs 5640 fuel used #2  
How much fuel does each actually use? My 5240 HST uses about a gallon an hour doing loader work but anywhere from 2-4 gallons an hour running the brush hog depending on terrain and what I’m cutting.

/ 5200 vs 5640 fuel used
monroe,

i have not measured gallons per hour do you or anyone know where there's a chart or info on the internet...
one thing that dawned on me is that the 5640 rpm for 540 is about 2300 and the 5200 maybe up at 5700. i need to check it..

/ 5200 vs 5640 fuel used #4  
You are basing your question on what the fuel gauge says? Try topping off the fuel tank and running the mower on one tractor for one hour then MEASURE how much it takes to fill the tank back up. Then repeat this on the second tractor. Then you will have a much better idea of your fuel usage.

The fuel tanks may not be the same size so 1/4 tank on one means nothing compared to the other. Also the gauges are not known for their accuracy. At best they are a guess.

/ 5200 vs 5640 fuel used #5  
monroe,

i have not measured gallons per hour do you or anyone know where there's a chart or info on the internet...
one thing that dawned on me is that the 5640 rpm for 540 is about 2300 and the 5200 maybe up at 5700. i need to check it..

I don’t know of anything on the internet but I use a simple spreadsheet that tracks hours, gallons, price, etc and added formulas to calculate the gallons per hour and cost per hour. I keep track of every tank and it is interesting to see how it varies with different work activities.