5th wheel trailer frame flatbed

/ 5th wheel trailer frame flatbed #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
I've seen threads on here before about using these and that they are not up to heavy duty use, but I was wondering about one if shortened to about a 12-14' length, and converted to a GN.

I see them once in a while on craigslist pretty darn cheap. Cheaper than the two axles alone would be, but I was wondering if one could be reasonably converted to haul somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-7K. I don't do heavy hauling, besides my 5th wheel trailer itself, but for the occasion of extra long lumber, that my 4x8' trailer is too short for, or my MF1010 tractor. My tractor is handled easily by my trailer, but I have to place the bucket in front of the trailer bed (it has 16" sides all around) and let the 42" Gannon box ride with the tailgate down. I'd rather haul it on a flat bed for ease of loading though.

I can do my own welding, so it's a material cost. I would cut the 5th wheel frame to desired length of bed (12-14').

What say you guys?

/ 5th wheel trailer frame flatbed #2  
I'm trying to figure out what a GN type of trailer is.

/ 5th wheel trailer frame flatbed #3  
I'm trying to figure out what a GN type of trailer is.

GN =Gooseneck

From the Draw-Tite website:

A gooseneck hitch is designed for use in a pickup truck and is similar to a Fifth Wheel hitch. The difference between the two is that the gooseneck uses a ball and coupler versus a kingpin and fifth wheel hitch. Typically, the trailers that are most commonly used with a goosenecks hitches are horse and livestock trailers.

Gooseneck hitches are offered in a few types of configurations. They are designed to be mounted above or below the pickup bed. Either design (above or below) allows for minimal obstruction when the ball is not in the towing position. This permits full use of the pick-up bed.

Under-Bed Gooseneck
This product is designed to mount under the truck bed for use with a gooseneck trailer. A 3-1/2" hole in the truck bed is required for installation and operation. The ball is stored upside down in the hitch when not used, with a magnetic cover to keep dirt and debris out.

Fold-Down & Remov-A-Ball
These units mount on top of an under bed rail system. The ball is either removed or folded down for easy access.These units offer additional convenience and save time.

Here's a pretty good explanation:

HowStuffWorks "How Gooseneck Hitches Work"

NV

/ 5th wheel trailer frame flatbed #4  
Is 12-14' going to be long enough for the tractor, loader, and gannon box.
I'm sure you've read before that 5th wheel trailers rely on the side wall framing and roof for structural strength. They use a thinner frame because they rely on the entire unit as a whole for strength. Once you remove the roof and sides of a 5th wheel trailer the frame strength lessens.

/ 5th wheel trailer frame flatbed #5  
I think you are going to end up with a trailer no one else will want. 14' GN is a odd duck.

Chris

/ 5th wheel trailer frame flatbed #6  
GN =Gooseneck

From the Draw-Tite website:

A gooseneck hitch is designed for use in a pickup truck and is similar to a Fifth Wheel hitch. The difference between the two is that the gooseneck uses a ball and coupler versus a kingpin and fifth wheel hitch. Typically, the trailers that are most commonly used with a goosenecks hitches are horse and livestock trailers.

Gooseneck hitches are offered in a few types of configurations. They are designed to be mounted above or below the pickup bed. Either design (above or below) allows for minimal obstruction when the ball is not in the towing position. This permits full use of the pick-up bed.

Under-Bed Gooseneck
This product is designed to mount under the truck bed for use with a gooseneck trailer. A 3-1/2" hole in the truck bed is required for installation and operation. The ball is stored upside down in the hitch when not used, with a magnetic cover to keep dirt and debris out.

Fold-Down & Remov-A-Ball
These units mount on top of an under bed rail system. The ball is either removed or folded down for easy access.These units offer additional convenience and save time.

Here's a pretty good explanation:

HowStuffWorks "How Gooseneck Hitches Work"

NV

Thanks. I'll never get used to using shortcut language....