62 ford 4000 not getting fuel

/ 62 ford 4000 not getting fuel #1  

msod13

Tractor
1962 ford 4000 gas
I’ve got a 1962 ford 4000 gas burner that recently acquired. It’s a great old tractor but I’m not getting much fuel from the tank. Looking into the tank I don’t see a lot of rust but I do see a spring loaded screw. Don’t have a screwdriver long enough to try to mess with it at home. Was wondering if any of you guys have had a similar issue Is that a screw that can change the flow?

/ 62 ford 4000 not getting fuel #2  
There is nothing in the tank to adjust. Be sure to clean the sediment bowl on the inlet of the carb, clean the screen at the top of it and remove the inlet to check the screen on it. Then make sure the valve on the bottom of the tank is open at least two turns, remove the plug on the bottom of the carb to see what the flow is like. If it is still slow or a dribble remove the gas cap from the tank to see if that improves the flow, sometimes the cap gets replaced with a non-vented cap.

Just remember these old tractors don't have a fuel pump, it is gravity only so flow is not going to be fast, besides they only burn a little over a gallon an hour while being worked hard.

/ 62 ford 4000 not getting fuel
I’ve replaced the carburetor and out an inline filter in. I can take the hose off the top of the fuel filter and I get just a few drops then nothing even with the fuel cap removed. I don’t have a valve on the bottom of the tank

/ 62 ford 4000 not getting fuel #4  
Sounds like you have an obstruction in the fuel line. Can you blow it out carefully with compressed air?

/ 62 ford 4000 not getting fuel #5  
Take the tank off and see if the screw will gall out
if not take a screw driver a metal rod two small hose
clamps the attach the rod to the screw driver as gas
will make tape useless. if the screw is in the drain line
you can get it out.
If the screw is in the drain line perhaps to slow fuel down
or maybe is just fell in and they tried to get it out and it got
stuck in the drain line?? The Shadow knows the snswer!

willy

/ 62 ford 4000 not getting fuel #6  
According to parts manual, the shut off valve , item #20, in the bottom of the tank, there is a screen attached that sticks up into the tank. Held in place with 2 small bolts. Disconnect the fuel line and then remove the 2 bolts and pull the valve out. Hopefully you don't have much fuel in the tank. Clean the screen and reassemble.
1664141823439.png

/ 62 ford 4000 not getting fuel #7  
I’ve replaced the carburetor and out an inline filter in. I can take the hose off the top of the fuel filter and I get just a few drops then nothing even with the fuel cap removed. I don’t have a valve on the bottom of the tank
If you don't have a valve now might be a good time to install one. They don't cost much, and can save you some grief if you ever have to work on the fuel system again.

Great tractor, by the way. Got any pictures?

According to parts manual, the shut off valve , item #20, in the bottom of the tank, there is a screen attached that sticks up into the tank. Held in place with 2 small bolts. Disconnect the fuel line and then remove the 2 bolts and pull the valve out. Hopefully you don't have much fuel in the tank. Clean the screen and reassemble.
View attachment 763996
Ok awesome that’s what I was needing to see. I couldn’t tell how it was set up. Thank you sir

If you don't have a valve now might be a good time to install one. They don't cost much, and can save you some grief if you ever have to work on the fuel system again.

Great tractor, by the way. Got any pictures?
I did put an inline shut off valve on it. Always like having those in place