'64 2000 question

/ '64 2000 question #1  

TLR15

Tractor
1979 Case 580C
I looked at what is advertised as a '64 2000 today. I have a quick question about something I'm not familiar with on that year. The machine is a 4 spd with a loader and the owner pointed out a lever by your left leg he said is to switch low/high range. Is that a Ford option or something like a Sherman low range aftermarket?

Thanks in advance.

/ '64 2000 question #2  
If it is indeed a a 4 cylinder 1964 2000 with a 4 speed the the only thing it could have is a Sherman which has the shift lever in front of your left leg. A picture would help.

/ '64 2000 question
I wish I had taken a picture. Sounds just as you described. So that would effect pto speed as well right? If I were to get this tractor I would want to have some sort of snowblower on it at some point.

/ '64 2000 question #4  
Yes Sherman's most definitely do change PTO speed. Not sure I would want to use a 3 point mounted snowblower, all that looking behind would get old quick.

/ '64 2000 question #5  
A 1964 Ford 2000 with a 4 speed trans will not have live pto which you will not want to run a snowblower with. I know some hard headed people may say that they run a snowblower without live pto, but while they may, it is NOT an effective way to do it. I ran a snowblower behind my 1955 Ford 860 with live pto for a few years. The reverse speed of these old Fords is a little too fast for snowblowing. Another case of yes it can be done, but not the most effective way to get it done.

/ '64 2000 question #6  
Look for 10 series. My 1986 3910 has a 4-speed with a high-low shift near the right leg. This gives 8-speeds and two reverses. This H/L shifter is stock and it must be in neutral to start the tractor (safe start). It also has independent PTO. The PTO lever is on the left side of the pump section, behind the transmission. Set your PTO speed by engine RPM. Set the ground speed by your choice of gearing. I typically mow in 3/L or 2/L in the shrub and tree areas.

The shift decal looks like this:

DEC451.jpg

/ '64 2000 question
I ended up buying a clean '70 3500 industrial. It's got a 6x4 trans. I'll probably not blow snow with it. I think I'll use a plow on a truck instead.

Attachments

• 3500.jpg
    3500.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 59