640 3ph

/ 640 3ph #1  

Tinkerer

Bronze Member
Sullivan County, Indiana \"God\'s Country\"
Tractor
1955 Ford 640
Well, I have solved my 3ph problem! Before, the 3ph would either not lift, or it would be slow and erratic. I was convinced it was the pump going bad, but when i took the plug out of the pump, with the tractor running, A LOT of fluid came shooting out. Seemed to have plenty of pressure for a worn pump. I then took the lift cover off and found that the cam follower pin was badly worn. I just took it out, turned it around, and put it back in. The lift now works just as good as the day it was made.

I realize that this is a temporary solution, and that I still need to replace the pin with a new one, but it sure is nice to have a fully functional tractor back! Heck, I just about forgot how to hook up the implements to the 3ph!

/ 640 3ph #2  
good job! don't u love it when something goes right? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ 640 3ph #3  
When we work on or ford 8n's.. hyds it is pretty much an automatic thing.. just replace the cam follower pin while you are in there.. etc.

Over on another forumn I read, there is an old ford dealership mechanic that makes a few aftermarket kits and parts for the older fords.. 1939-1954.. 9n thru NAA ).. he also usually has cam follower pins on hand... if the pins are the same as the old N-series.. you can probably drop him an email and get one for next to nothing.. Nice old fellow.
( Zane sherman )

his email is:
Wzsherman@aol.com
Soundguy