'68 Ford 4000 SOS repair cost

/ '68 Ford 4000 SOS repair cost #1  

sweep

Gold Member
Tractor
2006 TC45A
The guy who owns my uncles old 68 4000 wants to sell it now. He did mention the hrydraulic lift is sluggish and the SOS while it works is very slow. He said this happened after he changed the filter and he is thinking a piece of dirt of gasket material got caught somewhere.

An idea on repair cost for this SOS?

Also what would this tractor be worth as is?

Thanks

/ '68 Ford 4000 SOS repair cost #2  
Tractor value will depend on condition and whether or not it has fel. Location makes a difference to. Ballpark value just to help you would be around 1500-2500 without fel and 3500-5500 with fel. That would be at least good running conditions with normal wear.

I sold my 1963 fordson super major(ford 5000) with fel 3 years ago for $6200.

Whats sos?

/ '68 Ford 4000 SOS repair cost #3  
Tractor value will depend on condition and whether or not it has fel. Location makes a difference to. Ballpark value just to help you would be around 1500-2500 without fel and 3500-5500 with fel. That would be at least good running conditions with normal wear.

I sold my 1963 fordson super major(ford 5000) with fel 3 years ago for $6200.

Whats sos?

It means "Select-o-Speed". A late 1950s attempt by Ford to put something like an automatic transmission into their tractors. The SOS is notorious for failing and then being extremely expensive to repair. There's a thread now on TBN about the problems one of our members is having locating parts to repair his SOS tranny.

/ '68 Ford 4000 SOS repair cost
The owner of the tractor now claims the transmission is working properly as it was just really low on fluid. When I was there yesterday the 3 pt worked fine but when he put it in gear, the tractor just sat there for 5-6 seconds then started to move (but since then he has filled the tranny)

Here is a pic of the tractor. Tractor was originally gas but an NOS diesel was put in it back in the 1990's/ Has about 1000 hrs on the engine.

What is this tractor worth?

Attachments

• IMG_1248.jpg
    IMG_1248.jpg
    934.5 KB · Views: 2,667
   / '68 Ford 4000 SOS repair cost #5  
The owner of the tractor now claims the transmission is working properly as it was just really low on fluid. When I was there yesterday the 3 pt worked fine but when he put it in gear, the tractor just sat there for 5-6 seconds then started to move (but since then he has filled the tranny)

Here is a pic of the tractor. Tractor was originally gas but an NOS diesel was put in it back in the 1990's/ Has about 1000 hrs on the engine.

What is this tractor worth?

Judging by the photo, maybe $3K with that SOS tranny.

/ '68 Ford 4000 SOS repair cost #6  
I would walk away from it. A tractor having a SOS is bad enought when its working well no matter when it was " low on fluid" ;) If your thinking about buying it make sure you run it through all gears while it is warm and cold. My ford that had SOS i used to plow snow in the winter and worked great for that. it took me about 20 min. to clear the driveway and being winter it never really warmed up. in the summer after about 5 - 1o min the transmission would start to act up. 25-30 min. untill it became almost unmovable.

As far as repair cost $4000 and up if you can find parts and maybe even harded to find someone to do the work. 3 for dealerships and 2 old timer tractor repair guys wouldnt even think about it.

A tractor with sos compared to same tractor without runs $1000-1500 less when its workin correct.

/ '68 Ford 4000 SOS repair cost #7  
Just a question, Why do you want this tractor? Is it for recreational use, sentimental value or for real tractor use?

If its to play with then only you can answer that question, same goes for the sentimental value.

If its for real use, I would leave it. Some of those old girls still have lots of work left in them, some need alot of work. Just remember the overhaul on any one component is worth more the the value of the tractor alone. Although the tires look fine, tires alone can be worth more then the tractor.

I sold my fordson supermajor (69 draw bar hp), I can do more with my 2305 and the new little jd uses less effort turning my 72" rfm.

I'd buy a newer machine. Just my opinion though.

/ '68 Ford 4000 SOS repair cost #8  
engine, if really a NOS diesel with 1000 hrs on it is worth alot..

hyd top cover is easy to work on on that tractor.. paper and rubber kit costs about 15$.

the sos.. well.. go run it now that it has oil and see what it does.. if all gears and reverses work hot and cold... cool.. if not.. keep track of what does and doesn't work, and come back and post.. i have a troubleshooting chart link .. those trannies like a lil maintenance, and clean correct oil. band adjustments and servo checks are 'normal procedures' for them.

i'd be more inclined to buy it as it belonged to an uncle.. vs buying it because I needed a tractor to work with... a 4000 or 4600 with an 8spd would be my choice of work tractor in that size range...

ps.. an SOS tranny is a powershift gear trans.. not an 'automatic trans like in a car that has a torque converter and whatnot..

soundguy

/ '68 Ford 4000 SOS repair cost #9  
Be a great place for that 8speed I have that I posted about a couple of days ago. To bad it isn't in NY.