89,000lb wheel loader or 18,000lb backhoe???

/ 89,000lb wheel loader or 18,000lb backhoe??? #31  
The reason you find deals in Florida on big machines is they are worthless on that soil, very few applications down there to use them. My friend worked for Ring Power down there and you could count on one hand the big machines there. he was sent down to assemble a 992 loader because they didn't know how or even saw one. a 275 and a 980 are helpless there and you mentioned a pond ..... they are stuck when you get it in sight.. best get someone that knows how to do it at least to start. See how they do it and what they use, then if you feel you can do it go get the right machine. rubber track excavators will not push much compared to steel track machines....... jim

/ 89,000lb wheel loader or 18,000lb backhoe???
Sorry ive been away from the post for awhile. I got caught up with work and all the adventures of owning a new property.

I did however,, make a purchase on a piece of equipment and im pretty happy with it so far.

1981 JD 510. 20,000lb machine, 4-1 bucket, 17ft dig depth. runs great, brakes work, clutch is good, a lot of new hoses and doesn't leak any fluid... literally parked on concrete for days and not a drop.

It does have a few small things to address, but with it being that old, its bound to have something. The front tire leaks down after a couple days and the switch for the lights doesnt work. All-in-all,,, im pretty happy with it.
received_668020423835406.jpeg
received_1144512175950166.jpeg

/ 89,000lb wheel loader or 18,000lb backhoe??? #33  
Nice backhoe..I see it has a old school backup alarm....

Nice backhoe..I see it has a old school backup alarm....

Thanks, yes and it works! I thought that was the coolest feature. Its subtle enough to not be annoying, but loud enough to still hear it. I think its a neat chime too :laughing:

Im pretty pleased with it. And i appreciate everyone's opinions and suggestions. Its an older backhoe for sure but seems to have been taken care of, and it seems super heavy duty. I looked at some 310's, 410's, case 580's and some fords and this one is a tank compared to them. I know its a heavier duty class but it just looks almost overbuilt with bracing and plates. Which for me is a good thing,,, im green with heavy equipment and would rather an underpowered tank that my lack of experience wont put into a bind a lighter duty machine wouldn't be able to handle. Yes, everything can break, but this hopefully reduces that chance :D

/ 89,000lb wheel loader or 18,000lb backhoe??? #35  
My Brother used to have a 510 just like that. They are a digging beast!!!! Very heavy machine. Doesn't like soft muddy ground.

I don't know about in FL, but your budget is not sufficient (to be polite) for more than something with dozens of loose pins, dripping both types of oil, hose replacing, hope it starts pile of iron that's 1 or 2 steps away from the scrap man.
But then, do you feel lucky? Sorry for the downer and being seemingly "harsh" but for 15-18k, you better bring along a good H.E. mechanic with you to look it over.

I appreciate it, and yes i did look at some heaps of crap or some that needed more work than the seller would initially put on. But ive been around smaller equipment and my mechanical knowledge in other area's is efficient. I was lucky enough to find an older piece of equipment thats in pretty good condition and well within the budget, so it all worked out. Now the real fun begins!!!

My Brother used to have a 510 just like that. They are a digging beast!!!! Very heavy machine. Doesn't like soft muddy ground.

It sure seems like it will be, haven't had a chance to do much with it yet. Just changed all my filters and oils for a piece of mind, but too busy with work and the holidays to really work with it yet. And luckily its hard ground all the way to the water line. Other than soft sand i dont think im going to have much to worry about.

/ 89,000lb wheel loader or 18,000lb backhoe??? #38  
Sorry ive been away from the post for awhile. I got caught up with work and all the adventures of owning a new property.

I did however,, make a purchase on a piece of equipment and im pretty happy with it so far.

1981 JD 510. 20,000lb machine, 4-1 bucket, 17ft dig depth. runs great, brakes work, clutch is good, a lot of new hoses and doesn't leak any fluid... literally parked on concrete for days and not a drop.

It does have a few small things to address, but with it being that old, its bound to have something. The front tire leaks down after a couple days and the switch for the lights doesnt work. All-in-all,,, im pretty happy with it.
View attachment 677767
View attachment 677768

Very similar to what I have, except I have a Ford/New Holland. The biggest, bestest, greatest thing that I ever did with mine is to convert it to a Quick Attach. I bought the plates and made a template out of cardboard that would fit my pins and weld to the plate on the loader, then I cut my bucket brackets off and welded on the other plate to the bucket. I can switch from hay spears, to pallet forks, to a grapple, and back to the bucket whenever I need to. This morning I put a round bale out, and then put the grapple on. I have a big oak laying on the ground and I want to cut it up into 15 foot lengths that I will carry to my house and then cut into firewood. I'm also going to clean up all the branches with the grapple and haul them to the burn pile. Nothing works better at cleaning up an area like a grapple!!!!

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...ing-my-bucket-ss-quick.html?highlight=grapple

/ 89,000lb wheel loader or 18,000lb backhoe??? #39  
Not having checked the specs I'm guessing he outweighs you considerably Eddie.

/ 89,000lb wheel loader or 18,000lb backhoe??? #40  
Not having checked the specs I'm guessing he outweighs you considerably Eddie.

I'm confused? Would that mean he would be better off adding a grapple or are you saying he shouldn't add a grapple?