8N 3 point lift capacity

/ 8N 3 point lift capacity #1  

gregnmeg

I have a 1952 8N in reasonable shape. I'm looking at a 3 point mounted implement that weighs 925 pounds. Anybody have any idea if the machine can handle this? I have a mower that weighs enough to lighten the front end if I lift it and head uphill. I don't have front wheel weights on it (yet). The implement wouldn't have to be carried very often, it has wheels on the back end and it is not very long. Thanks.

/ 8N 3 point lift capacity #2  
Although I could not find the lift capacity at the arms, the Ford 8N operator's manual says the hydraulic pump produces 1,500 to 1,700 pounds of pressure. I believe you should not have a problem with the 925 lb implement, except for the light front end that you know about.

/ 8N 3 point lift capacity #3  
I have a Ferguson 2085 that I used for a number of years to move 1200 lb bales of hay. The most interesting feature was the instant POWER STEERING effect that you have already expeienced to some extent with your mower. Using the rear brakes to steer may work for you if it is an infrequent application.

Good luck.
Bob

/ 8N 3 point lift capacity #4  
I lift a 600# disk often. I've heard of others doing stuff in the 800# range, and once of someone in the 1000# range.. but I imaging by then, the front end is pointing skyward.

I guess it depends on the health of your hydraulic system.. new it probably would have no problem... 50 years later???

Also will make a difference on how far back the load is from the lift arms... length will multiply the force.

And yeas.. the N pump is a 'weak sister' of about 2.9 gpm and 1500-1700 psi.. ( 1700 around new.. 1500 at our 'age' ).

Soundguy

/ 8N 3 point lift capacity
Thanks guys, that helps a lot. Now the hard part. The $!