8n hydraulics

/ 8n hydraulics #1  

buster

Tractor
farmall cub, ford 8n, kioti LB 1914 w/fel
My 8n lift has always been a little weak, but after one month without using it I fired it the other day and it will hardly lift my middle buster ( about 75 lbs). The lift action is jerky and takes about 45 seconds to raise to full height. engine rpm does not matter. Do I need to start with the pump or the piston rings on the lift assy? I am using 80/90w oil. Any ideas? Thanks.

/ 8n hydraulics #2  
The first thing you need to do is check the little handle under the seat on the right side. If it is in the up position you are in draft control and it'll act like what you've described if you have a weak ram. Another thing the 8N is famous for is the pressure relief valve on the pump. Pull the right side cover on the rear end housing and reach down under the pto shaft and find the thing sticking out of the back of the pump that looks like a spark plug. Once you are sure where it is start the tractor and put your finger over the end. If you feel any fluid flow it's bad, it's about $18 bucks or so at your NH dealer. While the cover is off you can cycle the hydraulics and use a mirror to see how much fluid is coming out of the lift piston. If these things check out OK you need to hook a pressure gauge to the test port at the right front of the pump housing. Chain the lift down and try to raise the tph, you should see, if I remember correctly, 1900 psi. You could also have a gasket blown out on the pump or lift cover but you ought to be able to see that with the side cover off. It's a pretty simple system.

/ 8n hydraulics
Thanks bgott, do I need to have the pto engaged when I hold my finger over the relief valve? I'll try this tonight.

/ 8n hydraulics #4  
Yep, the pto has to be engaged for the pump to turn.

/ 8n hydraulics
I checked it out and there is no fluid getting by the rings on the lift. I can't find the relief valve with my finger but there is a lot of turbulence in the fluid when lifting. I found a valve at just8ns.com for $22, I'll see what that does. Thanks bgott

/ 8n hydraulics #6  
"I can't find the relief valve with my finger "

Maybe it fell out. That would definitely give you a pressure drop. Once you have the new one you'll know what to feel for. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 8n hydraulics #7  
Did you manage to fix this thing yet?

/ 8n hydraulics
I have not time yet bgott. We had two wicked ice storms in NC this winter /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I've been getting alot of seat time on the Kioti cleaning up trees and limbs. The 8n will go in the garage soon, I'll keep you posted.

/ 8n hydraulics #9  
One other thing... that lift/rear end was not designed for 80w/90 gear oil... It was designed for 90wt mineral oil. the gear oil has addatives that are rather cruel to any brass/bronze elements in the lift housing.. like bushings.

TSC carries the 90wt mineral.. so does wal-mart... If you can't find it, you can use the thinner New holland 134d oil..

You may get leaks if your seals are bad with the new oil.. but if you replace the piston / rings anyway.. the new oil will probably be the way to go.

Soundguy