8n knock

/ 8n knock #1  

Rusty48

New problem on 48 8n. There is a knocking noise it the general area by the shifter/clutch. The noise is there with the clutch pedal released either moving in gear or sitting in neutral.When the clutch pedal is depressed the noise goes away. The tractor will move forward or reverse ok but I didnt move it far. Any ideas? I will look at it more this weekend and start a teardown process going for the clutch area. looks like the hydralics will have to wait till later.Thanks Joe

/ 8n knock #2  
Well.. when the clutch is in.. the countershaft doesn't turn.. but does turn, when tranny is in neutral, and clutch is out. I'm not sure what that indicates? Pilot bearing maybee. Does rpm agrivate it?

Probably gonna have to pull the tranny cover and take a look at the gears.

Be carefull when you pull the tranny top cover.. there will be a ball and detent spring that you don't want to fly out... remove slowly.

Also.. if you don't already have it.. get an I&T fo-4 manual.

Soundguy

/ 8n knock #3  
Your hydraulic problem and noise could be related. The knocking noise chould be coming from the Ferguson lift pump.
Chuck M.

/ 8n knock #4  
Is the noise there (clutch out or engaged) with the PTO running as well as when it is not running? If no noise when the PTO is disengaged, it might be the hyd. pump. If noise, then likely in the clutch area - bearing or broken part, maybe forks. Just a thought.

Get the book as suggested. There are some good checkout procedures there.

/ 8n knock
the problem dosent go away when the pto is disengauged,I have an IT manual as well as the original owners manual.Is there a better manual than what I have now because at some point I would like to do a restoration on it. thanks for the help,Joe

/ 8n knock #7  
I&T is a decent service manual. Other than a general 'rebuild your ford tractor' book I've seen on the bookstands and at farm stores.. there's no delaer manual for doing a refurbishment.. etc.

Soundguy

/ 8n knock
I pulled the shifter cover last night and found 3rd gear missing a tooth and the gear on the countershaft flattened slightly ,probally causing the noise as the noise occurs at different points on the larger gear not only by the missing tooth,looks like transmission teardown time unless someone has a used trans in the state of Mi. as I will need to get the tractor up and running very soon. Thanks for all the input,Joe