8N over run clutch removal?

/ 8N over run clutch removal? #1  

snooks

Bronze Member
Tractor
YM2500
I need to remove the over run clutch from the PTO shaft of my 8N. After removing the grease fittings, I expected to see a roll pin. I found no pin and I been unsuccessful in getting the clutch to slip one way or the other. Any suggestions would be helpful. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ 8N over run clutch removal? #2  
Jeff, I don't know, but doesn't it have a spring loaded pin on the tractor side just like the one that releases the implement drive shaft. I think you can see what I'm talking about on the lower part of page 8 at this site. Look at the lower left part of that picture.

/ 8N over run clutch removal?
Bird, I went to the farm store tonight to look at the same over run clutch that I have on my tractor. I discovered that the clutch should slip when I rotate it clockwise when looking at it. Apparently mine has froze up a little, which might explain why it would sometimes push me when the mower is on and I try to stop. So, I got my son to set on the tractor with it in gear and his foot on the break, while I attached a big pipe wrench to the over run clutch. Now armed with the knowledge of which way it should turn, I put all my weight into it. Low and behold it moved (after turning the engine over a little). It is free and I was able to line up the hole with the roll pin. All down hill from here. Thanks for the reply. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ 8N over run clutch removal? #4  
Glad you got it done. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif