9N starter testing.

/ 9N starter testing. #1  

pipefitter

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 23
I just bought a 9N. It looks a little rough, but came with a scraper blade and a small plow. Has a new rear tire and rim, the others all hold air. The starter had been removed by the previous owner, in order to get the tractor out of gear, as the clutch is stuck. My issue at the moment though, is trying to start it. It is supposed to have been converted to 12V, but all I see is a different voltage regulator, and a 12V battery. The armature had slid out of the housing. I put it back together and want to test it before I put in on the tractor. I thought about clamping it in a vise, and using a jumper cable to the starter and grounding it to the vise. But it won't be going through the voltage regulator and don't want to mess something up. I guess I could just put it back on the tractor and test it, but have no idea if everything else will work. I paid $550.00 for it, but it hasn't been used in about 4 years.

/ 9N starter testing. #2  
If everything's set for twelve volts and you jump the starter from a twelve volt battery why are you worried about a voltage regulator? The regulator only controls the charge going to the battery. The starter feeds directly from the battery. There is no way the voltage regulator could begin to handle the current drawn by a starter.

/ 9N starter testing.
I learn something new everyday! I was concerned about the 12v conversion, and whether or not sending 12 volts to the starter would cause a problem. I think I have it resolved. Thank you.

/ 9N starter testing. #4  
Pipefitter: Those old starters could handle the twelve volts easily. As an example, years ago, I had a 1956 Ford car. Starter was dragging . I was looking for a replacement 12V starter for it. Junk yards couldn't find one. One yard said they had a 6 volt model from a 54 Ford, same starter just lower voltage. Bought it and put it on. Drove that car with that starter for years, no problem. !2 volts did spin it a little fast.
Sheenist

/ 9N starter testing. #5  
I just bought a 9N. It looks a little rough, but came with a scraper blade and a small plow. Has a new rear tire and rim, the others all hold air. The starter had been removed by the previous owner, in order to get the tractor out of gear, as the clutch is stuck. My issue at the moment though, is trying to start it. It is supposed to have been converted to 12V, but all I see is a different voltage regulator, and a 12V battery. The armature had slid out of the housing. I put it back together and want to test it before I put in on the tractor. I thought about clamping it in a vise, and using a jumper cable to the starter and grounding it to the vise. But it won't be going through the voltage regulator and don't want to mess something up. I guess I could just put it back on the tractor and test it, but have no idea if everything else will work. I paid $550.00 for it, but it hasn't been used in about 4 years.

There is some good info here on TBN about how to try to free up your clutch without disassembly.
When you do get it free, just store the 9N with the clutch pedal blocked up, and it will not stick again.