Actual engine oil capacity for RK37SC???

/ Actual engine oil capacity for RK37SC??? #1  

timebak

Bronze Member
Our farm near Muscle Shoals, Alabama...FINALLY!!!
Tractor
RK37SC & John Deere 2030
This afternoon I started the 50 hr servicing. I had checked the oil 2 days ago, the last time I'd used it (for about 15 minutes), and it was just below the full mark, where it's been since I bought it new.

I drained the crankcase, changed the filter, replaced the drain plug, filled with 6 qts of Rotella, cranked tractor, looked for leaks, let it idle for abt 5 min, shut it off and checked oil after a few minutes. Oil level was abt 2" ABOVE the full mark. What the heck??

I retrieved the oil drain pan and poured the used oil into a jug. There was only 4 qts. Again, what the heck? I was expecting abt 5.5 qts, allowing for about a half qt of oil in the old filter.

So, only 4 qts came out of the engine and I put 6 qts back in (per the manual). No wonder the oil level is way too high.

What gives? Have they changed the crankcase capacity but not changed the manual?? Are there two crankcase drain plugs like my motorcycle and some old Fords?

/ Actual engine oil capacity for RK37SC??? #2  
You will always have some that stays behind and I'd not be concerned with it being slightly overfilled anyway.

/ Actual engine oil capacity for RK37SC??? #3  
This is what my manual for the my 37HC shows. Should be the same for the shuttle version since the engines are the same. Shows 0.85 gallon.

1690404253811.png

Doesn't seem like much but it brings it right to the mark. I usually buy quart 4 quart bottles. I fill the filter before installing it. I then add the partial bottle I have left plus two full ones making 3 full quarts. A gallon equals 3.78 litters so you'll have a add just a small amount to get it to the mark but be sure to run it a few minutes before doing the final check. It takes about 3.5 quarts total.

Last edited: