Add an Aftermarket Temperature Gauge?

/ Add an Aftermarket Temperature Gauge? #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
It's amazing how mechanically lazy the our Kubota has made me. It just never needs anything; and so gets no love.

And today it occurs to me that of every vehicle we have, the hard-working Kubota is the only one without a real temperature gauge. It does have a gauge, but instead of degrees it is scaled in some kind of "Kubota Goodness Units".
That has been OK, but is what I mean by lazy...you have to wonder what that means in coolant temperature.

Has anyone put a real temp gauge on their Kubota? What kind? Learn anything? The M59 motor is a 2007 V2403-M-T-3EB which is their very common and 4 cylinder average 47 to 60 hp - sometimes turboed and sometimes normally aspirated EGR engine. About the only thing odd about the engine is the EGR injection gizmo and the water-cooled muffler required to cool the EGR gases.
thanks,
rScotty

/ Add an Aftermarket Temperature Gauge? #2  
How about this,

1656468612044.png

/ Add an Aftermarket Temperature Gauge? #3  
I've always loved the old 270 degree sweep mechanical temp gauges with that tubing going the the sending unit location.
No electricity needed,except for lighting.
It's neat to watch the temperature rise a little after the engine is turned off!
Good Luck!

/ Add an Aftermarket Temperature Gauge? #5  
Exactly right.

Replaced the old, no longer available, OEM gauge panel on a Ford 4500 backhoe with autometer gauges and aluminum plate.

For a machine made to work in dirty and debris prone environments the lack of instrumentation and alarms is deficient.

Since the dash of the M59 is located on the right fender like a good backhoe should there is a blank console under the steering wheel just begging to be utilized. My eBay and Amazon watch list are bookmarked with various gauges, switches, power jacks, thermowells and fittings. Like some of the marine cluster panels. Easy for me to get lost in the design phase.

Have some measurements of the hydraulic oil cooler inlet and outlet temps that I would like to be able to read real time like when bush hogging.

Coolant temp with low or loss of coolant indicator.

Voltage.

Engine oil temp.

Some of the need is to better maintain, monitor the machine and make it more useful. Majority need is to satiate my curiosity.

Last edited:
   / Add an Aftermarket Temperature Gauge? #6  
No coolant temps but I added an electronic clock/voltmeter/indoor+outdoor temperature gauge I found on amazon.

Turns out it is hot in my cab - when I'm out bush hogging with the windows open and the fan on high its 55oC or 141oF inside.

/ Add an Aftermarket Temperature Gauge? #7  
I added these Stewart Warner mechanical tube oil pressure & temperature gauges to my Ford about 20 years ago, but did not want to cut holes in the dash.
They still work as good as new.

IMG_4425 II.jpg

Last edited: