Added Ford wheel weights to my Yanmar YM2310

/ Added Ford wheel weights to my Yanmar YM2310 #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
I don't know how my Yanmar YM2310 feels about Ford wheel weights but for twenty bucks I put them on. When I got the weights it looked like they would fit perfectly inside the tapered dish on my Yanmar wheels. Unfortunately, the angle on the weights was more than the angle of the dished wheels. This means that the weights would not fit flush against the flat face of the wheel. So I had to make spacers. By holding a weight, with help, into a wheel recess i measured the distance between the weight face and the wheel face. This distance looked to be 5/8 of an inch. The Yanmar wheels have 6 holes punched in the wheels but I decided the weights only needed 3 bolts to hold them securely. I bought a length of 4140 equivalent all thread rod and made 6 studs. Then I machined 6 spacers to thread onto the studs. The all thread was 5/8-18 and the holes punched in the wheels were about 17mm. They measured .679. So when I machined the spacers I turned a .674 diameter .300 long to fit into the holes punched in the wheels. I drilled and tapped the weights to accept the studs. The spacers were threaded onto the studs and affixed with red Loctite. The studs were screwed into the weights and blue Loctite was used to hold them in place. Blue Loctite was also used on the nuts threaded onto the studs when the weights were mounted. The weights have FORD cast into the surface of the weights. Too bad for Ford enthusiasts. Please see the attached pictures.
Eric

Attachments

• 20220501_104652.jpg
    20220501_104652.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 70
  • 20220501_104721.jpg
    20220501_104721.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 67
  • 20220501_110528.jpg
    20220501_110528.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 66
  • 20220501_121103.jpg
    20220501_121103.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 70
   / Added Ford wheel weights to my Yanmar YM2310 #2  
Did the weights help anything ? Needs to be repainted.

/ Added Ford wheel weights to my Yanmar YM2310
Did the weights help anything ? Needs to be repainted.
So, after all the work I did all you can say is they need painting? Sheeshe! Everybody's a critic. :) Actually, they do need paint. The wheels too. Since they just got mounted yesterday I don't know yet how much they will help. I am also going to be adding more weight. When the weather gets better here in the PNW I will be painting the wheels, weights, and other parts of the tractor that need paint. But I should probably hold off posting any more pictures until everything is painted and looking nice.
Eric

/ Added Ford wheel weights to my Yanmar YM2310 #4  
Sorry Eric I definitely was not intending to offend you in any way, seems like you came up with a pretty good way to add weights without spending much money.
once everything is repainted most folks won’t even notice your slick modifications.

/ Added Ford wheel weights to my Yanmar YM2310 #5  
Nice work. Very technical!!!!

I was much lazier than you.....

I mounted John Deere weights to my Kubota. I built an angle iron mount that bolts to the tractor wheel. Then the weights bolt to the mount.

/ Added Ford wheel weights to my Yanmar YM2310 #6  
Very nice OP. I did something very similar. Drilled holes in my Bobcat's wheels and JD weights. Tapped the weights and bolted on from the inner side. Hardest part of mine was drilling the wheels - I was surprised that the wheel steel was VERY tough to drill.

/ Added Ford wheel weights to my Yanmar YM2310
Sorry Eric I definitely was not intending to offend you in any way, seems like you came up with a pretty good way to add weights without spending much money.
once everything is repainted most folks won’t even notice your slick modifications.
I wasn't offended in any way. That's why I put a smiley face in my post. And as I said you were right, the weights do need painting.
Cheers,
Eric