Adding power steering to 2310?

/ Adding power steering to 2310? #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
Looking online I see a cylinder and valve combo that is used for adding power steering to some Yanmar tractors. I looked at the installation and it also requires a diverter valve. I dunno what a diverter valve is. I also have a Bulldog 285 FEL on my tractor. So maybe this complicates things. So, has anybody done this? Added power steering to their tractor?
Thanks,
Eric

/ Adding power steering to 2310? #2  
Eric,

The good news is, your YM2310 model had as an option factory Power Steering. So, yes, there should be something to connect to.

These machines also are capable of the Power Beyond because the John Deere versions show how these hook up to a YM or 50 Series tractor.

/ Adding power steering to 2310? #3  
Looking online I see a cylinder and valve combo that is used for adding power steering to some Yanmar tractors. I looked at the installation and it also requires a diverter valve. I dunno what a diverter valve is. I also have a Bulldog 285 FEL on my tractor. So maybe this complicates things. So, has anybody done this? Added power steering to their tractor?
Thanks,
Eric

Look here . . .

At the bottom of the post, grab the manual. ;)

/ Adding power steering to 2310? #4  
Thanks,
Eric
I'll take some pic's tomorrow of the setup on my 2310.

/ Adding power steering to 2310? #5  
Thanks,
Eric
Eric,
I have the Yanmar power steering diverter valves for the YM models of tractor.
I am sending you a PM.
Gary

/ Adding power steering to 2310? #6  
Question:

I have the optional YM186D steering kit. The diverter gives priority to the steering, so the loader and 3-point are sluggish at low rpm, not functional below 1000 rpm.

Is there a way to adjust the diverter to bias a little more fluid to the loader and 3-point at low rpm? Or is there a larger hydraulic pump available with more output at low rpm? Any other solution?

/ Adding power steering to 2310? #7  
"Some" diverters (or dividers) are adjustable for the priority circuit. By reducing the priority side (power steering), more flow is diverted/proportioned to the axillary side. Keep in mind that depending on your steering valve/rotor, you could loose some power assist. Generally, power steering will need about 1.5-2.0gpm at about 1800psi for a useful function.

Another way to get the necessary flow and pressure is to add a power steering pump running off a front engine pulley. Most cars and trucks use this method. My Ford 3910 tractor uses a separate pump for P.S. And the automotive style pumps are cheap and have their own reservoir. This might be a far better method of getting flow to an add-on system.

/ Adding power steering to 2310?
First of all thanks to all of you that replied, the advice really helps. This is my first Yanmar tractor and there is so much to learn. I have decided to figure out a way to add a power steering pump, because then the power steering will have no effect on the loader or 3PH. Right now both work very well even at low RPM. A power steering pump will draw essentially the same amount of power from the engine and in any case the engine already has plenty of power.
Cheers,
Eric

/ Adding power steering to 2310? #9  
First of all thanks to all of you that replied, the advice really helps. This is my first Yanmar tractor and there is so much to learn. I have decided to figure out a way to add a power steering pump, because then the power steering will have no effect on the loader or 3PH. Right now both work very well even at low RPM. A power steering pump will draw essentially the same amount of power from the engine and in any case the engine already has plenty of power.
Cheers,
Eric

Then look at the Jackson Power Steering for Yanmars. I believe their kits use an automotive GM/AMC/Dodge belt driven pump that mounts.