Advice needed - lifting pillars with my FEL

/ Advice needed - lifting pillars with my FEL #1  

Wagtail

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4105 / JD Z355E (48" deck)
Right, here's the situation; my neighbour has built himself a shed on a reinforced pad. He has purchased a 2-pillar vehicle hoist which he wants to set into position this weekend, using my tractor to assist.

I, with my trusty 4105 & its 300cx FEL (using my pallet forks), individually moved each of the pillars into the shed yesterday... so I know that my rig can handle the weight.

At least two additional blokes are going to be assisting to get the pillars into position. It's a large shed, so I'll have plenty of room to manoeuvre laterally and, cautiously, vertically.

Generally speaking, what is your advice on how to proceed? (other than, "Beer to be consumed after the evolution!" :laughing:)

/ Advice needed - lifting pillars with my FEL #2  
Wagtail, those pillars have to be about 8 feet tall, is it your concern how to get them upright and in position?
I know this sounds stupid but I bet the manufacturers of the lift have instructions in the manual on how to install them, perhaps with certain lift points.
Like dropping a big tree, sure don't want to be standing in the wrong place if something slips
Normally these things are either set in concrete or securely bolted into the floor. Are there mounting studs already in the concrete?

general advice, slow and safely, set your hydraulics on slow speed/low range if you can

/ Advice needed - lifting pillars with my FEL
Ta, daugen. I am most definitely going to do this slow and safely... and yes, in low HST. Yes, my "concern is on getting them upright and in position". I'm pedantically safety conscious, which is why I posted in this forum instead of 'Projects'. :)

I haven't seen the installation instructions. I believe that he'll RAMSET the bolts as there's nothing in the floor as of yet.

I've had a 'dogsman' course (years ago, it's amazing what courses the Navy sends you on) so I'll be watching one person only to give me directions. I'll insist on guide ropes too.

/ Advice needed - lifting pillars with my FEL #4  
Can you use a choke strap and carry them in upright?

Can you use a choke strap and carry them in upright?

Good point, thanks Murph. We've got access to lifting strops, which I used to transport the pillars horizontally into the shed.

/ Advice needed - lifting pillars with my FEL #6  
I'm pedantically safety conscious
me too, retired insurance agent and volunteer fireman. Seen a lot of folks get hurt and property wrecked.
If you have a rope on each end with a guy attached and the strap about three quarters up????
with a strap on one side, it's going to tilt, unless someone engineered a lift ring on the top

Update: the job's done and my tractor was't required... just 4-5 blokes lifting from one end and 'walking' the pillars upright. A wheeled pallet fork(?) was used to get the base to the approximate correct position.

The neighbour had read the installation/operator manual several times and a template had been marked out on the floor. No RAMSET bolts, just drill the holes once the pillar was in the final position, then pound the self-locking retaining bolts in, shim it level then tighten it down.

Still, it was a good thought-exercise for me and thanks for every ones advice.