Advice on steel building and brick

/ Advice on steel building and brick #11  
Eddie, there are fluid applied flashing and barrier systems that spray with heavy duty equipment like airless or air-assisted airless spray rigs. That might be what you are describing. I think it is expensive to get setup which is why they are not widespread. More used in commercial applications. I can see how they would be great for complex shapes and areas that are not easy to seal. Just spray right over it and done.

/ Advice on steel building and brick #12  
The coatings that I've read about are very similar to Redgard, and you roll it on, or brush it on. In the articles that I read, they rolled it on over the entire sides of the house. I'm sure they used brushes to get into the hard to reach places, but I don't remember that in anything that I read. It's not meant to be pretty, just to create a Rubber like barrier around 100% of the house to stop air from getting through the walls.

I use Redgard all the time to waterproof shower walls before installing tile. I also used it to seal the blocks that I used to build my swimming pool. It's kind of like a thick pudding. It doesn't flow like paint, it's too firm.

I have never seen it done in person. But then it wasn't too long ago that I first started seeing ZIP Siding being used instead of OSB and House Wrap. Now it's become the standard for a better quality built house.