Ammeter Wiring

/ Ammeter Wiring #1  

Kjart

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 35
I have an early 60’s MF35. The previous owner had a fire and burnt all the wiring. I have replaced most of it but am not sure about wiring the ammeter. It is a 12volt positive ground system with a generator/dynamo. I replaced the regulator although it is not the same model as the original, which was missing. How is the ammeter wired?

/ Ammeter Wiring #2  
FWIW,
I wouldn't install an ammeter because of the large gauge wire neede for the long distance. I would install a volt meter instead. Ammeters are old school.

/ Ammeter Wiring #3  
The old `cut out boxes` on dynamo systems were basically wired as FADE....E Earth or ground A Amp Meter then through a fuse to the battery D Dynamo, or the positive side of the dynamo.... F... Field, the other connection to the dynamo. All auxiliaries were taken off from the wire between the amp meter and the cut out box. So in answer to you fitting the amp meter, it goes between the positive on the battery, and the `A` on the cut out box. Alternators do not have a cut out box, there is a voltage regulator in the line, often within the alternator.