anybody get caught in the power outage?

/ anybody get caught in the power outage? #1  

alco141

Silver Member
it missed us by one county, the folks north of us have had a rough summer first a heavy storm knocked out their electricty for about 5 days, then three weeks later they got hit by the notheast black out. lots of thawed out freezers, and flooded basements as the sump pumps dont work without electricty.

alex

/ anybody get caught in the power outage? #2  
Yep,...it hit me when I was out on the JD 425 cutting my lawn. By the time I was finished and came indoors the power was restored. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif JD tractors work wonders....don't they? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

...Bob

/ anybody get caught in the power outage? #3  
I usually have a power outage by about 11:00 am on Saturdays. A short break in the ac, and a glass of iced tea and I'm usually good for another couple hours.

/ anybody get caught in the power outage? #4  
Well, I flew into NYC for a meeting, arriving about noon on Thursday. Took my wife via subway to the tip of Manhatten for a ride on the Staten Island ferry (we met in NYC 30 years ago, and, being broke, I'd take her for 25 cent rides on that ferry to pass the time and talk). Anyhow, the ferry could not dock back in Manhatten for an hour due to the power outage (couldn't lower gangplanks on the dock - finally got a generator going). Then we walked on city streets (with literally millions of New Yorkers, some very "colorful") for 6 miles to get back to the dark hotel (17th floor). Had a "powerbar" for supper, and a meeting the next morning in the only room in the hotel with enough windows to provide sunlight illumination.
It worked out - by Saturday, we had power, a couple of good meals, and my daughter got to shop for "back to school" outfits (don't ask) in stores very different from our hometown, and hence she won't be showing up at school wearing the same thing as some other girl (this, apparantly, is important). Came home Sunday - kissed my generator.

/ anybody get caught in the power outage? #5  
I got caught in the only total blackout Los Angeles ever endured. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The Northridge earthquake, proved the city had too many of their eggs in one basket. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif When the mayor announced on TV that everybody had to go to work, I drove into the Energy Control Center and put in a 16 hour shift, restoring every customer that had a wire going to them.
That was enough to convince me I needed a generator when I moved to TN, although most outages here are shorter, our first was 9 days. After 4, we were blacked out also, no gas! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Now the propane tank will serve as a backup. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif