Anyone build their own small no till seed drill?

/ Anyone build their own small no till seed drill? #21  
Back towards the start . . . . have rebuilt ancient chain/sprocket and gear drills, and done newer style electric.

What are you wanting to do? (# of rows, width overall, range of seeds -- size/type, seeds per inch, etc)?

/ Anyone build their own small no till seed drill? #22  
DJ54, I know that clover/legumes provide nitrogen to soil.

My question is when does a legume release the nitrogen, so that other plants can use it?

1. Is it available when the clover is growing?
2. Does the legume have to die before it is released?

I have searched for the answer many times and I am yet to see it stated in a factual manner. I think the correct answer is the legume must die, but I can not validate that.
This is the web page for the Renovation Clover. Renovation White Clover The answers to both your questions are both no and yes. Until it get well established this year, I probably won't see the results until next year. As explained in this article, https://www.drovers.com/news/beef-production/how-do-clovers-add-nitrogen-pastures Basically the life and death cycle of roots. and root hairs, releasing nitrogen and generating new roots, completing a new cycle. (See paragraph 2)

In my mind, I'm thinking the largest gain will be over the winter when the clover goes dormant, and some of the root mass dies off releasing that N.

I actually cut my first cutting 2 weeks ago. The Renovation Clover bloomed well before the Fescue headed out, the Tuukka Timothy came to the boot stage, and Red Clover bloomed, when I cut it. It was to the point, some ( maybe 20%) of the Renovation bloom had started to turn brown, so can't help but think it was to the stage where it is reseeding itself.

I'll pull a soil sample this Fall, then another next Fall, and see if there is a difference. I did reseed some thin spots last Fall with Fescue, and it too will not see full production until later this year, or next, although it was growing well, just hadn't reached its full potential. However, what I did frost seed a year ago Feb. 14th, is doing better than expected. As luck would have it, I caught the Fescue just headed out, Timothy in boot, and red clover just starting to bloom. The picture below doesn't show justice to the heavier part of the Fescue in the field. The best part, I gathered up some that had was drooped out of the baler when dumping a round bale. I gave it to the horses, and they licked up every bit of it. The second picture is of first cutting last year, cut May 30, that was frost seeded Feb. 14th. I was really pleased with that also. Although the Fescue was coming on, the difference between last year, and this year was outstanding. The intent was to sow it thick enough to choke out the existing Rye Grass, and was evident this year that it was successful. The Rye Grass makes more bulk, but the horses don't eat first cutting all that well.

click to continue playing

X
blank.png

click to continue playing

X
blank.png

Attachments

• DSC01048.JPG
    DSC01048.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 82
  • DSC00542.JPG
    DSC00542.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 82
   / Anyone build their own small no till seed drill? #24  
I put together a set of 3 JD71 planters on a double tool bar, 3 pt hitch with coulters. I can no till into standing rye/wheat or the mowed thick thatch with no problem. I plant food plots and plant rye, wheat, soybeans, sunflowers, lablab, iron clay peas, and egyptian wheat just by changing seed plates. It does a good job, however it is slow planting 3 rows but with a longer toolbar I could add more planters.

/ Anyone build their own small no till seed drill? #25  
How narrow can you get the spacing when using those JD 71 planting units?

/ Anyone build their own small no till seed drill? #27  
I built my own no-till drill, for a fraction of the price of buying new. OK, I cheated as I bought some ex-demo double disc openers. But put the rest together myself.

Have finished sowing this years winter crop mix now. Generally working well, though have have been several fiddly things to fix and improve.

I've bought an arduinio, and plan to convert the seeder from chain drive metering system to servo motor drive controlled by the arduino (and linked to tractor speed). Perhaps screw extruder metering too, instead of roller, but will see on that one as the rollers generally work well (for a specific set of seed anyway, and if application rate not too low).

More photos and details in my blog: No Till Seeder | Farming Adventures

Attachments

• PXL_20210411_050400572-1024x768.jpg
    PXL_20210411_050400572-1024x768.jpg
    658.2 KB · Views: 111
  • PXL_20210411_050435987-1024x768.jpg
    PXL_20210411_050435987-1024x768.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 107