Are my pickles soggy because I used 9% vinegar?

/ Are my pickles soggy because I used 9% vinegar? #1  

strantor

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS XR4140H
First time ever canning or pickling anything, last week I made 2 jars of pickles from "straight-8" cucumbers from my garden. Some sources say it's not a pickling cucumber, others say it's dual purpose, just fine for pickling. I've read plenty of reviews, people saying they made great pickles.

I grabbed white vinegar from the store and didn't realize until the last minute it was "extra strength" vinegar (9%). I went ahead and used it anyway. Bad call. They're two kicks in the teeth. I'll be throwing them out. But the other problem is they're beyond mushy. They're gelatinous almost, able to fall apart. Is that possibly from the super strong acid of the vinegar? Or did I simply overcook them? I added water while I was processing, which caused it to stop boiling. The recipe said "BOIL for 15 minute" so I stopped the timer during the period of time it wasn't boiling. So total processing time was around 20-25 minutes

/ Are my pickles soggy because I used 9% vinegar? #2  
Interesting timing for this post. One of our daughters gave us ajar of "hamburger dill" pickles 3 days ago; a brand I'd never heard of and said it was the favorite of her and her husband. Well, after she left, I opened the jar to see if they were different from the ones we usually buy, and sure enough, soft and mushy; terrible. I'd never eaten a mushy pickle. Now I don't know if that's the way they were supposed to be or not, but I dumped them down the garbage disposal.

/ Are my pickles soggy because I used 9% vinegar? #3  
Back in the day - when we had a garden - we pickled dills in our 15 gallon earthenware crock. Pack the crock full of cukes, garden grown dill, ample supply of grape leaves, pickling spices and vinegar. It was HARD to wait the necessary time but - man, were they ever good.

I have a feeling that the process of canning cooked the cukes and made them gelatinous. We never canned anything. Just "wash your hand" before digging into the pickling crock.

/ Are my pickles soggy because I used 9% vinegar? #4  
Back in the day - when we had a garden - we pickled dills in our 15 gallon earthenware crock. Pack the crock full of cukes, garden grown dill, ample supply of grape leaves, pickling spices and vinegar. It was HARD to wait the necessary time but - man, were they ever good.

I have a feeling that the process of canning cooked the cukes and made them gelatinous. We never canned anything. Just "wash your hand" before digging into the pickling crock.

FAQs: Answers to Common Questions About Home Pickling Cucumbers and Other Vegetables and Fruit

/ Are my pickles soggy because I used 9% vinegar? #5  
I never process them just pour the near boiling broth over and place lid it seals fine. I used grape leaves and alum with success for crisper ones.

/ Are my pickles soggy because I used 9% vinegar?
I never process them just pour the near boiling broth over and place lid it seals fine. I used grape leaves and alum with success for crisper ones.

Are you making refrigerator pickles or pickles you can leave in the pantry for a year?

/ Are my pickles soggy because I used 9% vinegar? #7  
The ones you can store for years. I have had soggy ones before, but none have ever " went bad " even after a few years stored. The acid and salt allow for storage and the seal just fine without processing. Same way granny did it 75 years ago

/ Are my pickles soggy because I used 9% vinegar? #8  

To do pickles this way you don't need vinegar, add some yogurt whey (active culture)or other fermentation starter. The grape leaves are the key ingredient for crisp pickles. This method also works for 1/2 gallon jars with a fermentation lock, store the finished pickles in the refrigerator and they will keep for several years. This works for most vegies, the fermentation bacteria convert the sugars into lactic acid. Additionally pickles made this way are probiotic and good for you!