ARPS Half Tracks

/ ARPS Half Tracks #1  

veedub

Tractor
None yet.
I have a 1955 Ferguson TO-35. Right now I have unloaded Ag tires on it and a set of ladder chains. I have a 55 gallon drum full of broken up cement, rocks, and sand on the 3 point hitch as a counter weight for traction. The tractor has a loader on it and is front heavy especially with a full bucket. The majority of my land is pretty steep and I have a lot of wet slick soft clay soil (Central Vermont).

I have about 14 acres but I can really only access maybe 3 acres with the tractor the "yard" area which is mainly flat or at least flatter than the rest of the terrain. There is a brook through the front of the property the banks where not steep are deep loose gravel. Even in this front part of the property I have trouble with traction and have got the tractor very stuck a couple times in the brookside and in the yard after rain. I have a lead on a set of ARPS half tracks locally. They came on an 8n that the guy owns but has no use for them. The 8n is a very similar tractor I am assuming I can make the track kit fit with minimal fabrication. Does anybody have a set of these? How much is traction improved? I know steering will become much worse and rely mostly on brakes rather than front wheels but I am not concerned about that I just would like to be able to access all of my property. So for any one that has ever owned a set, how well do they do in mud and soft soil/hills? How about snow?

I have found a couple videos on youtube of half tracks on old ford and fergie tractors but would like some real world experience stories if anyone has any. Maybe I am just dreaming and need to save up for a modern 4wd tractor but thats not in the budget in the near future...

/ ARPS Half Tracks #2  
Sorry for the late reply, ARPS half tracks are very good. I know a fellow who has them on a Fergie that pulls a few hundred gallon sap tank in the spring time. He swears by them. Says they are the only way to get through the bush in the spring time. The Fergie with them would go places a big 4 wheel drive wouldn't dare to go.

This might be of some interest to you.

Friends of Ferguson Heritage- The Worst Journey in the World

/ ARPS Half Tracks #3  
They are great for traction but steer terribly. If you have good brakes that's half the battle, if not plan on rebuilding them. They will pull wood like no tomorrow, never had them on a loader tractor. Biggest problem with a loader is you put too much weight on small non driven front tires, the tracks wont help that.

/ ARPS Half Tracks #4  
You will definitely need good brakes for steering. Back in the late 1950's we bought a set for our Ford 640. Returned to using them in the 70's after re fabricating brackets for Ford 3000. We utilized them more for floatation on peat soils for planting row crops during exceptionally wet spring. Not recommended on slopes as the tracks can get thrown off if you're not careful.

Terry

/ ARPS Half Tracks #5  
I remember them well and brakes are a concern for steering as well as the wear that might be on the connectors of the cleats at this point. Great system that was just loved by attorneys as the main reason the market went away.

/ ARPS Half Tracks #6  
20131020_130312.jpg
I know this is a late reply but I thought I would offer my personal experience. I have had this 1954 Ford NAA with the Arps tracks for about 11 years. Previous to me my uncle had it for 30+ years. It works very well on soft surfaces, mud, wet clay, and swampy areas. I have had the rear wheels of my NAA buried in mud a bit more than half the height of my tires and the tractor keeps going. If used it alot for running my brush hogin very wet and muddy areas and for gathering firewood from my 40 acres. The traction improvement can't even be compared to what you get with tires. If you can get your hands on a set my suggestion is to get them, you will not be sorry.

/ ARPS Half Tracks #7  
100_1988.jpg
I had a set on my 4000 ford for a couple of years. They were useful in the snow but my wood trails are pretty tight and don't have soft soil anywhere on the property. i sold them after a couple of year and went with chains instead.

kirk