ASV HD4500 Electrical Problem

/ ASV HD4500 Electrical Problem #1  

bz1

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2520
Hi, I own a 2001 ASV HD4500. I am currently having a perplexing problem and I'm hoping someone can provide some help. My machine runs just fine in all respects but it recently began discharging the battery quite quickly when the machine is turned off. It appears to be some kind of parasitic draw on the battery while the machine is off. I tried to check the current draw on the battery with an ammeter and determined that the current draw is over 10 amps since it blew the fuse in my meter. I did notice that with the machine turned off the negative battery terminal does provide a healthy spark when being connected/disconnected which would also indicate a current draw. It's not a terrible large spark but enough to melt some lead off the battery post if you let it spark. If I avoid hooking the battery up until I want to start the machine it starts and runs fine. None of the fuses have blown. I checked all auxiliary systems and I can't find anything that stays on when the machine is turned off. I tried removing each fuse and checking for the spark and the spark did not stop no matter which fuse was removed. So, I've concluded the draw is probably coming from something that is not fused. I don't know where to go from here. I don't think it's a short since that should overheat something and blow a fuse. Alternator maybe? The alternator is putting out around 13.8 volts measured at the battery. I thought it might be an alternator diode issue so I checked for AC voltage at the battery with the machine running and I registered zero AC voltage even when set to my meter's smallest scale. The schematic shows a diode in line with the alternator but I'm not sure if that's a separate diode from the voltage regulator or not. I have not tried to physically locate that diode yet but it's probably my next thing to check. I would sure appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

/ ASV HD4500 Electrical Problem #2  
Instead of your ammeter try a twelve volt light in its place. If you have ten amps flowing free you'll easily light most any twelve volt trouble light. If it's a low wattage one the bulb itself will limit current to what it wants. Now you can start disconnecting wires. When the light goes out you're really close to finding the problem. It could be the alternator, voltage regulator, a bad relay, or whatever. Good Luck.

/ ASV HD4500 Electrical Problem #3  
Have an ASV PT50 bought brand new around 2009 or so. Dealer told me to keep the battery disconnected or it would drain. He was correct.

Long story short, replaced the alternator about four years later, and the battery drainage problem disappeared.

/ ASV HD4500 Electrical Problem
Thanks for the ideas. Today I started out by checking all the relays. I thought I found a relay that was stuck on the energized position. It was not energized but the load terminals were shorted together as if it was energized. I disconnected one load wire to run the continuity check and I think it indicated it was closed. After removing the relay completely from the machine I was about to apply my meter leads when I heard the relay click (contacts opening?). When I got the leads connected the contacts were open. So.... is this the culprit? I thought so but with the relay removed from the machine and all it's wires just hanging, the battery terminal still sparked when I hooked it up. So I'm not sure if I just imagined this whole thing. Anyway, I'm going to replace that relay and see what happens. If that has no effect I think I'm going to take Seville009's suggestion and go next to checking the alternator.

/ ASV HD4500 Electrical Problem
So I got a 12 volt light like Roadworthy suggested, good idea. Instead of blowing the fuse in my ammeter the bulb gives me a visual to look at which is easier than trying to watch a digital display. Today I determined that the relay was not the problem. I finished checking all the other relays, safety switches/solenoids and the alternator connections. I also disconnected every connection I came across just to check every box. Doing the easy things first. Did not find the source yet so now on to the control panel electronics. My next best guess after the alternator is the ignition switch. Not sure how that would be failing to turn off and still have all the gauges and other accessories go dead like they should but we'll see. I'm starting to run out of obvious components to check.

/ ASV HD4500 Electrical Problem #6  
not on a loader but my boat motor was killing the battery after a day sitting, it was the alternator, try isolating the alternator and if it has one regulator.

myself when the regulator or alternator goes on older machines we wire in the older GM ones, they are simple, just the larger charge wire a power wire and a bulb to ground, bullet proof and way cheaper than any factory one, all the old Bobcats have this setup as well as my lawnmowers