Backhoe

/ Backhoe #1  

marhar

Gold Member
Tractor
Farm Trac 60
For a few years I have been thinking about buying a used backhoe. I am looking for advice such as best make for the money, what components my be worn out on a used piece, what to stay away from and what models have the best parts availabilty.

As for usage: I would like to use it part time in retirement to make a little extra money by digging foundations, cutting farm roads and installing culvers. I have 100 acres and the equipment would be my "toy" when not used for "real work".

/ Backhoe #2  
That's a lot of questions to ask in a single post. A better approach would be to look at what's available in your area and search on problems associated with that particular machine. Aside from obvious signs of wear, it's often difficult to tell how well a machine has been maintained. A reputable dealer should stand behind what he sells and offer some sort of warranty. You're pretty much on your own with a private sale.

If excavating is all you want to do, look at a mini ex. They are the most versatile digging machine out there. They dig deep and get into tight places where a tractor / hoe can't go. They are a one trick pony though and aren't much good for moving material. for that, a TLB (tractor, loader, backhoe) would be a better choice.

Hopefully, others will chime in here with more help.

/ Backhoe #3  
For a few years I have been thinking about buying a used backhoe. I am looking for advice such as best make for the money, what components my be worn out on a used piece, what to stay away from and what models have the best parts availabilty.

As for usage: I would like to use it part time in retirement to make a little extra money by digging foundations, cutting farm roads and installing culvers. I have 100 acres and the equipment would be my "toy" when not used for "real work".
Ford 5xx series or Case CK series would likely be the best bang for the buck, if you can find one not all worn out.

/ Backhoe #4  
case construction models are plentiful.

most wear items are boom pins. check for well greased pins( probably a +) and bushing wear (a -).

hydraulic leaks
tire condition and age
starts well
stops well
goes well
everything works as it should
all fluids clean and full
maintenance, service and repair records

/ Backhoe
case construction models are plentiful.

most wear items are boom pins. check for well greased pins( probably a +) and bushing wear (a -).

hydraulic leaks
tire condition and age
starts well
stops well
goes well
everything works as it should
all fluids clean and full
maintenance, service and repair records
Thank you for the detailed list.

/ Backhoe #7  
you are in denton nc? recently some one told me there 2 or 3 implement manufacturers there?
I bought my 60" grapple from Mid State Attachments there.

/ Backhoe
you are in denton nc? recently some one told me there 2 or 3 implement manufacturers there?
I am in Denton NC and there are several implement mfg. in the area.

Mark