Ballast Ballast box needed for 7308 loader?

/ Ballast box needed for 7308 loader? #1  

SCOTTO

Tractor
NEW HOLLAND TC33D
Can anyone tell me if ballast is needed when having a fully loaded (stone or dirt) 7308 bucket on the TC29D or TC33D? I hear "green" compacts in this size range are unstable when loaded and need to be equipped with a rear ballast box.

/ Ballast box needed for 7308 loader? #2  
I think that just about everyone will recommend some sort of "rear" ballast when working with a front end loader on compact tractors....regardless of color. Some of the folks here have compensated for that by loading their rear tires. Some (like me /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif) have opted for simply having a rear implement on as a counter weight. Yet others prefer a dedicated counter weight in the form of a compact ballast box or homemade weight.

After loading wet sand with my Kubota B2410 and feeling the rear end start to lift, I have yet to use the loader without at least my rear blade (pretty light weight) on the 3ph. Pretty easy to do and a lot better on the laundry /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

Kevin

/ Ballast box needed for 7308 loader? #3  
I would recommend using some type of rear ballast for any loader operations. I agree that having an implement on the TPH is probably the best and easiest solution, although it might get in the way a little more than a compact ballast box.

Loading the rear tires is a great solution, but might need to be combined with some additional TPH ballast, depending on the size of your tires, and the load you plan to be lifting. The downside to loading your tires is that you cannot easily remove the weight, for times when you might not want as much ground pressure (i.e. like when mowing your lawn while it is still a little wet).

I do not think that the ballast issue is specific to any particular brand of tractor, and they can all benefit from proper ballasting for the task at hand.

/ Ballast box needed for 7308 loader? #4  
Your bio doesn't indicate if you have any other attachments, but a MMM adds weight as well, although depending upon what you are using the FEL for a MMM might get in the way. I've moved heavy, wet stall cleanings, wood from a tree I cut down and stones/rocks I picked out of my field, all without having anything on the 3ph. As others have noted, this is an issue with all tractor brands to one degree or another.

/ Ballast box needed for 7308 loader? #5  
I've got the Woods 1012 loader w/66" HD bucket on my TC33D. I've picked up a bucket full of sand with only my loaded rear tires (CaCl filled) for ballast and it worked OK. (I would not have wanted to drive on much of a slope, or on rough ground). It's a lot more comfortable to do this heavy stuff with an implement on the back, as well as the loaded tires. With a 7308 loader, I'd bet you'd be fine with either an implement or the tires. You probably wouldn't need both, since the 7308 will not pick up as much as the Woods 1012. Also, a lot of the stuff I pick up is lighter than the sand (rocks, dirt if fairly dry, etc) so I have no problem with just the loaded tires.

/ Ballast box needed for 7308 loader?
Thanks for the replies. MikePA, I will have a 60" rotary cutter on the 3 point hitch (approx. 900 lbs. ).

/ Ballast box needed for 7308 loader? #7  
SCOTTO, personally I think a BH is the best weight for loader ballast.

Bill C

/ Ballast box needed for 7308 loader? #8  
My MMM weighs 525 pounds so your 900 pound 3ph rotary cutter shoud provide more than enough counter weight for anything the 7308 can lift.