Basic Hydraulics

/ Basic Hydraulics #1  

raykos

Silver Member
Tractor
JD2305
Hello all,

Last summer I bought a JD2305, and since then it's kind of gotten me interested in knowing a little more about hydraulics. Does anybody know if there is a site, sort of like "Hydraulics for Dummies" available? Is there also anything available with formulas that would cover the drawing I've tried to make, in other words, if the rod of the cylinder travels 'X' amount, what distance 'D' would result, depending I guess on how far away, 'R' is?

I know it probably takes a long time to fully understand hydraulics, but as I said, I would like to start with the basics?

Thanks,
Ray

Attachments

• Hyd-Draw.JPG
    Hyd-Draw.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,254
   / Basic Hydraulics #2  
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I have an electronics background and I usually think of pressure as voltage and GPM as amperage. These analogies hold quite well. Electrical switches have their analogs in the hydraulics world as well. Other than that, I'd Google the heck out of "basic hydraulics" and see what ya get.

/ Basic Hydraulics #3  
There is a very good textbook type hydraulics manual called the "Mobile Hydraulics Manual." It is written by Eaton fluid power. Website is https://web.fluidpower.eaton.com. Just look there for the book title.
Watch out for info on the internet. There is a guy out there that is the self proclaimed king of internet hydraulics. He does have a lot of good info on his site, but he also has a lot of misinformation. I won't mention his name or website, but he is from down under.

/ Basic Hydraulics #4  
Since you show your cylinder as being horizontal, then your answer is simply geometry. You need to know the distance from either point on the arm to the arm pivot point though.

However, if the cylinder pivots separately from the arm, then things get a little trickier.

I have some text books I got from John Deere that are pretty good and easy to understand. Don't have the tittles handy though. I think you can find them on their site (somewhere).

Sizing the ram travel is again, just geometry. Sizing the ram bore will require more info like what kind of work the lever arm has to do. Then you size the system requirements to the ram. Once the system pressure is enough to actually move the ram (under load) then more pressure will just just make it move faster.

/ Basic Hydraulics #5  
Here is a link to a Army field manual on hydraulics:

FM 5-499

/ Basic Hydraulics #6  
Kennyd,

Thanks for that link. I started trying to understand hydraulics and that manual is going to really help!

Dan

/ Basic Hydraulics #7  
As far as understanding the hydraulic system specific to the tractor, I found the John Deere tech manual to be extremely helpful for my 2520. In addition to describing how to diagnose, test and repair things, each chapter also explains the theory behind the system and shows, diagramatically, how it works.

/ Basic Hydraulics #9  
The following link takes you from the ground level up - It is an outstanding course - if you are just learning about hydraulics, do not over look the basics (pascal's law, etc) - it is all included - pretty much all hydraulic courses (that are worth a ****) will go into extreem detail about filtering. Filtering is one of the most vital parts of a hydraulic system. Aparticles as small as 15 microns (micron is the size of half a nats *** - LOL) can DESTROY a hydraulic system.
BEST OF ALL - - THIS COURSE IS FREE !!!!
Good Luck
Kenny

Principles of Hydraulics

Last edited: