Battery configuration question on 1066

/ Battery configuration question on 1066 #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
When I bought my 1066, the prior owner fabricated two "steps". One on either side of the machine and to these, he strapped down a single 12V battery (one on each side). These were wired in parallel and all was fine except the battery got in the way of using the "step" to step up onto the machine!

So, I removed the "drivers side" platform that he bolted on and installed a International steps to get to platform (no cab)

I also dumped both batteries and put in the long skinny SIX volt batteries in series.

Now that I've had the six volts for .....call it two years.... I don't know that I feel they have the strength of two 12's and certainly not a single 12. Maybe they're weaker (as new) than others I could have obtained....I don't know.

I've been debating on buying a new set of batteries because I'm tired of having to jump start the tractor half of the time.... I LIKE the long skinny batteries that are tucked away. I still have the platform for the battery on the right side of machine.

Got me wondering.... can I take two 6 volt batteries.... put them in series. Then, add a SINGLE 12 volt battery (which would be out of the way on the right side tray) and ADD it into the circuit (parallel?) without blowing anything up and having it work correctly?

This would (should) give me excellent starting power and still keep most things nice & tucked in.

(or.... do they make a 12 volt version of those long skinny type batteries that are the size of the six volts??)

/ Battery configuration question on 1066 #2  
You'd have to check with a battery vendor to learn the options for various size and shape batteries. I'm sure what you want is possible. First try cleaning the terminals on your six volt batteries and the inter connecting cable terminals. Be sure they are TIGHT. Check your ground as well. You may even want to go the extra step of having them load tested. Since they are wired to produce twelve volts it should present no problem to parallel a twelve volt battery with the twelve volt package you've made. As far as starting without a jump, the total cold cranking amps (CCA) of whatever package you're using is important.

/ Battery configuration question on 1066
Late response.... but get this.... went out one day to jump start, move to house where I can then charge batteries.... on setting up the charger, I was a bit perplexed.... the wires didn't seem to go as I expected.

Long story short, I was 100% "sure" that I had bought two 6 volt batteries and had installed them in series.....when in fact, I had bought two 12 volt and had them in parallel.

Oops!

To clarify....it's wired correctly, just a 12v format verses 6 which I thought I had done.