Chipper Bearcat 73554 PTO

/ Bearcat 73554 PTO #1  

Foozle

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740
I bought this new a few years ago but haven't used it much so far. Want to start using now, but had a few questions for someone who might have one of these. I noticed there are two grease points that require the removal of the metal covers near the PTO shaft. I removed and was able to grease the upper fitting. The lower fitting is difficult to get to and when I tried greasing the grease didn't seem to go into the fitting, but rather squirt out around the fitting. Any advice on this? Also, I noticed there is some rust on the various parts near the belts and was wondering whether this will just come off when I start running or whether I should be concerned. Finally, when I tried to reassemble the covers, it seemed rather difficult to get stuff lined up. Not sure why they made it so difficult to remove and reassemble, but maybe I'm just missing some obvious way to do easily?

Any advice is appreciated.

Dave

/ Bearcat 73554 PTO #2  
I have an older one. Sounds like they have not improved the protective cover fasteners. Mine uses those clip on nuts. They move around so you have to line them up every time. I leave every thing loose until they are all on, Then tighten. They are a pain but after a while you get used to it. Don't get to concerned with the rust. Just run it. That grease fitting is a tough one. The grease squeezes out on the side because you can't get square onto the fitting. I have a rubber hose with a swivel head on one of my grease guns that I can make work in there. If you get grease into one zerk you are fine. Both zerks goes to the same place.