Befco Rotary Cutter-leaking oil

/ Befco Rotary Cutter-leaking oil #11  
To add to this post.. Many gear boxes have a fill and level check plug. If you overfill, not only will the vent leak.. but if the vent clogs then the seals can blow out.. then the oil leaks bad.. and the bearings die from lack of lube.. or dirt.. etc.

post a pic AND call your dealer!

Soundguy

tkcomer said:
On the top of the gear box there should be a vent. If the box was overfilled, oil will seep out that vent as the box warms up. As far as the clunking noise, does it do this when you first engage the PTO? If so, that is the blades swinging out into position as the mower “winds” up. I know my International mower will shake my little tractor hard until the blades swing out on startup. And the blades can contact the ground if I lower the front of the mower all the way down.

/ Befco Rotary Cutter-leaking oil
Thanks. I called the dealer. My neighbor looked at the blades said thet were ok. The dealer said to check the oil in the gearbox and call him back if it below 1/4 of an inch, sometimes the seals blow. Will do all this this weekend. After I wiped off the original oil no more has leaked out but I haven't used it, mostly because I took it off the tractor and I have to figured out how to put it back on. Like I said I am very new at this. Anyway this brush has been growing for many years so I suppose it can wait another couple of days. Thanks for the help!

/ Befco Rotary Cutter-leaking oil #13  
Let us know what you find

Soundguy

pk1mk1 said:
Thanks. I called the dealer. My neighbor looked at the blades said thet were ok. The dealer said to check the oil in the gearbox and call him back if it below 1/4 of an inch, sometimes the seals blow. Will do all this this weekend. After I wiped off the original oil no more has leaked out but I haven't used it, mostly because I took it off the tractor and I have to figured out how to put it back on. Like I said I am very new at this. Anyway this brush has been growing for many years so I suppose it can wait another couple of days. Thanks for the help!

/ Befco Rotary Cutter-leaking oil
I opened the plug in back and even though the cutter was lower in front oil spilled out. Then when you lift the pto shaft up oil comes out. The seal looks alright but I don't think I'll know until I put it back on the tractor and it is level. It seems like if it were level more oil would come out but then it didn't when it was. It seems like it is either too much oil or a leak in the seal or I just have it stored so the oil is putting pressure on the seal. Is that possible?

/ Befco Rotary Cutter-leaking oil #15  
Check to see if there are 2 plugs.. a fill and level check. if so.. it may be overfull ( water? )

If you move the pto shaft and oil comes out, with the top plug out.. that means the bearing is loose and seal is leaky.. With aplug out.. there will be no pressure on the sump.

Soundguy

/ Befco Rotary Cutter-leaking oil #16  
"Anyway I didn't try it today because the book said the noise could come from lack of oil in the gear box."

See if it is low on oil, if so, put some oil in it.