Beginner MIG/Everlast Welder Question

/ Beginner MIG/Everlast Welder Question
OK, the manual basically says when threading the wire, 'make sure that each rollers groove size matches the wire diameter'. Got it.

Question is... which is the correct roller groove size for .030 wire? The roller small groove is marked .9v, the big groove is marked 1.2v (what does .9v and 1.2v mean?). Just looking at it... I'm guessing the small groove is what should be used with .030 wire but I'm not really sure.

When I used the small groove... it drives the wire just fine (haven't done the slippage test yet) but the tightener is like at no tension at 0 or .5. Just want to make sure I'm using the correct groove.

Thanks again!

/ Beginner MIG/Everlast Welder Question #12  
Neither. If you look at page 17 of your manual, it gives you the drive roll size equivalents and explains it here: https://www.everlastgenerators.com/...ownloads/28a199059840cb20c238e12127d601aa.pdf

Your unit is equipped with .035" and .045" drive V groove drive rolls for hard wire. It is a 250A machine after all, and puny .030" wire is no match for that type of amperage capability. .030" tops out around 150-160A on standard short circuit, 200 amp on spray...

/ Beginner MIG/Everlast Welder Question #13  
Neither. If you look at page 17 of your manual, it gives you the drive roll size equivalents and explains it here: https://www.everlastgenerators.com/...ownloads/28a199059840cb20c238e12127d601aa.pdf

Your unit is equipped with .035" and .045" drive V groove drive rolls for hard wire. It is a 250A machine after all, and puny .030" wire is no match for that type of amperage capability. .030" tops out around 150-160A on standard short circuit, 200 amp on spray...

I also typically use tension right around 3.5 .

Thanks for the info!

Sorry, I missed that little sizing box (my manual is a little light on the printing... like the toner was running out or something). So I'm guessing I need a different roller to accomodate this .030 wire or will this wire simply not work in this machine?

Thanks!

After re-reading again... I'm thinking this .030 wire will not work in this machine.

/ Beginner MIG/Everlast Welder Question #16  
You need to watch some Youtube vids on wire tension adjustments. You may be able to squeak by for now running an 035 feed roll with 030 wire if you set it up right. In any event you have a lot of homework to do. Good luck and have fun learning.

/ Beginner MIG/Everlast Welder Question #17  
I would bet the .035 roller (.9) will work just fine on .030 (.8) wire..... At least most MIG machine will accept it...

And wire size .023 or .030 or .035 or .045 should be select on material thickness and correct voltage (amperage), NOT on maximum out put of machine....

Last edited:
   / Beginner MIG/Everlast Welder Question #18  
After re-reading again... I'm thinking this .030 wire will not work in this machine.
It will with the right size drive roll. A smaller gun will be helpful, but it definitely WILL work with the machine itself.

Last edited: