Best Box store or mail order Fall and spring Fert and Weed killer?

/ Best Box store or mail order Fall and spring Fert and Weed killer? #1  

JOE G

Gold Member
Tractor
Husqvarna / John Deere
Hi, I have a country lawn, It has random weed types, Clover, Crabgrass,Plantain, Dandelions and other stuff. My local feed and garden stores don't really carry much for home owners besides your basic name brand stuff scotts and what not.
What is the best and what type should I use for fall and the spring to help me deal with these things?
How many 50 Lb bags should I use on 2 Acres of lawn?
I did lime the lawn this year and I have used a scotts weed and feed in the spring.
Th lawn is a mixture of grass types, KBG,Fesscues and other standard grass mix types.
Thank you

/ Best Box store or mail order Fall and spring Fert and Weed killer? #2  
I'm aware that like so many,you expect a silver bullet simply by asking. It isn't possible unless someone does research on your behalf and that isn't going to be me but I will ceratinly give you guidance. After identifying 2 most troublsome weeds and if they are anual or perinial,look for herbacides that target them.
Weed and feed can damage/kill trees if applied or washed into root zone so be very carful.

/ Best Box store or mail order Fall and spring Fert and Weed killer? #3  
Hi, I have a country lawn, It has random weed types, Clover, Crabgrass,Plantain, Dandelions and other stuff. My local feed and garden stores don't really carry much for home owners besides your basic name brand stuff scotts and what not.
What is the best and what type should I use for fall and the spring to help me deal with these things?
How many 50 Lb bags should I use on 2 Acres of lawn?
I did lime the lawn this year and I have used a scotts weed and feed in the spring.
Th lawn is a mixture of grass types, KBG,Fesscues and other standard grass mix types.
Thank you
Go micro clover. Microclover

/ Best Box store or mail order Fall and spring Fert and Weed killer? #4  
Tractor Supply Company (TSC) carries a fair range of herbicides.

In my store the homeowner/garden herbicides are in the front of the store, the more concentrated pasture herbicides in gallon and 2.5 gallon containers, which I buy, are in the back of the store. "Gordon's" is a brand with which I have had particular success.

Walmart sells some quite good one gallon sprayers for <$8.00 each. You will need at least two, one for 2-4d and one exclusively for glycophosphate.

Like many, you expect a silver bullet.

The labels on herbicides are very informative. At the minimum you will need a 2-4d based herbicide for broadleaf weeds and Roundup/Glycophosphate for unwanted grass types. For unwanted grass types I also spend plenty of time digging them out with a hand trowel. I compost the removed weeds and dirt attached to the roots for two years.

I do not compost nut sedge/sand burs. Nut sedge seeds maintain life for years.

Last edited:
   / Best Box store or mail order Fall and spring Fert and Weed killer? #5  
Few homeowners take the trouble to have a soil test analysis.

Unless you know the pH of your soil and the soil's nutrient needs half the money you are spending on fertilizer is probably wasted.

/ Best Box store or mail order Fall and spring Fert and Weed killer?
I have a few good sprayers,
I use
Sedgehammer
Bonide Sedge ender, Weed Beater and Kleen Up
I am looking for something i can put in my spreader and do general clean up and not kill everything it touches.

The Ones geared toward Sedge I can spray and not harm the other grass but the others will kill everything.
I know I am not going to spread something and have everything I want gone in one application, But I would like to control it.

/ Best Box store or mail order Fall and spring Fert and Weed killer? #7  
Tractor Supply Company (TSC) carries a fair range of herbicides.

In my store the homeowner/garden herbicides are in the front of the store, the more concentrated pasture herbicides in gallon and 2.5 gallon containers, which I buy, are in the back of the store. "Gordon's" is a brand with which I have had particular success.

Walmart sells some quite good one gallon sprayers for <$8.00 each. You will need at least two, one for 2-4d and one exclusively for glycophosphate.

Like many, you expect a silver bullet.

The labels on herbicides are very informative. At the minimum you will need a 2-4d based herbicide for broadleaf weeds and Roundup/Glycophosphate for unwanted grass types. For unwanted grass types I also spend plenty of time digging them out with a hand trowel. I compost the removed weeds and dirt attached to the roots for two years.

I do not compost nut sedge/sand burs. Nut sedge seeds maintain life for years.
+1 on Gordon's branded products!

/ Best Box store or mail order Fall and spring Fert and Weed killer? #8  
You bet,Gordon's get's the job done every time.
Brand is everything when it come's to herbicides. Like motor oil and shampoo,active ingredients is only slick market hype designed to sell products.

/ Best Box store or mail order Fall and spring Fert and Weed killer? #9  
I spray my pastures with Grazon next, 24/D, Remedy. safe safe for my cows, and kills clover and ,many other weeds. It won't kill crab grass though