Best Nut or thread locking devices

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #61  
Who here is using Castle nuts with safety wire? I'd guess .001 of the people reading this thread. All my nylon cap nuts are grade 5 or 8. Is that what you mean by cheap?
Not sure I follow? My only point is that safety wired castle nuts are about the best way you can go for securing fasteners. It's aviation standard but absolute overkill for most applications. Nylocs suffice for 95% of applications and distorted thread is good enough for 95% of the remainder.

For the nylocs I'm just saying they're too cheap to risk using one twice after the nylon insert has been deformed. I can't remember the exact number but their holding power is significantly reduced on a second usage. McMaster has grade 5 1\4-20 nylocs for like $5-$6 per hundred last I bought any....

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #62  
I've used loctite and permatex thread lockers for years, and they've worked perfectly. I was a diver and I worked on ships and subs as a fitter and we used it on most fasteners.

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #63  
The issue with any Nyloc nut is, once used and the insert is deformed by the threads, the nut looses it's locking ability to a great extent. Basically single use nuts. I prefer Castellated nuts and cross drilled fasteners myself.
I find that when I used castellated nut a longer bolt was needed because the nut is taller and you still need the min of 3 thread sticking out. So if space is an issue that may not work.

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #64  
Not sure about the minimum 3 threads sticking out. Where did you get that at?

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices
I couldn’t find any specs about recommended thread exposure, but at McMasterCarr, they had listed the grade 8 are not recommended for high vibration applications. They are prone to shearing the pin. :oops:
1682736598329.jpeg

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #66  
   / Best Nut or thread locking devices
   / Best Nut or thread locking devices #69  
The issue with any Nyloc nut is, once used and the insert is deformed by the threads, the nut looses it's locking ability to a great extent. Basically single use nuts. I prefer Castellated nuts and cross drilled fasteners myself.
Castellated nuts are for use with cotter pins and a bolt with a hole drilled through it. They have special torque design values because you torque to spec and if the hole doesn't match the nut you back it off untill the hole lines up with the nut.

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #70  
Not sure about the minimum 3 threads sticking out.
I remember decades ago while in construction using A325 fasteners, that was what the minimum the engineer wanted.
I use Loctite on most fasteners, stops loosening and stops corrosion as well.