Comparison blower or blade -- 300' stone drive

/ blower or blade -- 300' stone drive #1  

dieseldreams

Tractor
searchin'
I thought a blower was the solution, though I see folks wavering towards a blade?

In the past, I've let the drive freeze up an ice layer, floating the blower once or twice, then letting it ride the contours of the drive thereon out --

-- thoughts?

Thanks!

/ blower or blade -- 300' stone drive #2  
Same as I do with a front plow.First and last plows of the year are the toughest.Plow is much faster if you don't measure snow by the foot.
I used to live in Central NY;blowers are the way to go there for sure.We average about 80-120in/yr.where I live now a plow works great.

/ blower or blade -- 300' stone drive #3  
All depends on the snow that sticks around. For me, the plow banks got higher than the plow, and from then on, it sucked. That's with the newest style Boss (RT3) plow on a pickup (i.e. NOT a crappy setup).
Got a 74" blower on the Kubota and can do the 800+ foot drive in 1/2 the time.
I find the blower WAY less frustrating, even given the occasional face-full of snow.

/ blower or blade -- 300' stone drive #4  
I'd chime in with "all depends on how much snow" since blowers and gravel don't mix so well. I can plow fairly clean without too much disturbance of gravel, but then again, I remember living in Upstate NY, and having 5' high banks of snow on each side of our drive- that's when I bought the blower. Should have brought it with us when we moved down south. Plow works fine, 95% of the time.

/ blower or blade -- 300' stone drive #5  
It kind of depends upon how much snow you get and how big your tractor is. I had a rear mount blower when I had the Ford 1700 because the tractor was not big enough to "knock down" the berms with the rear blade. The current tractor and my rear blade will clear the driveway and knock down the berms easily. We seldom get more than 30" of snow accumulation. I have a one mile gravel driveway.

/ blower or blade -- 300' stone drive #6  
Big snow, with a blade, you need big spots to push it. Both a blade or a blower will tear up a drive if not set up and used properly. Should have a split pipe on the bottom of the blade edge and good shoes to keep the blade from digging into the gravel. With a blower, need good shoes and usually build up at least an inch snow base to slide the blower over on top of the gravel. I use a JD 420 garden tractor [about 1400# with weights] with a 54" front blade for light snows and whilst I am packing my base.. Then a big rear blower to blow the smitherinies out of the bigger snows. But I average 140+"'s...