Blue Rug Junipers?

/ Blue Rug Junipers? #1  

Gem99ultra

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400HST
I have some very steep dam banks that I'd like to cover with some ground cover. Right now I'm mowing as much as possible, but about a quarter-acre I'm having to clear with a string trimmer. No small task for an old man.

The obvious answer seems to be to plant some ground cover there. Blue Rug Junipers appear to be a nice choice, but experience avoids sorrow later. Anyone have any better suggestions, or any experience with Blue Rug Junipers?

/ Blue Rug Junipers? #2  
I suggest you consider 'Asian Jasmine'. It will give you a thicker mat than the Juniper which will help keep other weeds from growing through it. It will take a year or 2 to develop this mat. And once it gets established, it does grow fairly aggressively. It can easily be trimmed with a string trimmer.

How to Grow Asiatic Jasmine | Gardener’s Path

Blue Rug Juniper is a really good looking plant, but I'm not sure it would be the best choice for your needs. Maybe try some of both, and see which you like better and works better in your situation. Keep in mind that if the asian jasmine gets established, you will need a backhoe or excavator to remove it in a few years, if you decide you don't like it.

/ Blue Rug Junipers? #3  
I suggest you consider 'Asian Jasmine'. It will give you a thicker mat than the Juniper which will help keep other weeds from growing through it. It will take a year or 2 to develop this mat. And once it gets established, it does grow fairly aggressively. It can easily be trimmed with a string trimmer.

How to Grow Asiatic Jasmine | Gardenerç—´ Path

Blue Rug Juniper is a really good looking plant, but I'm not sure it would be the best choice for your needs. Maybe try some of both, and see which you like better and works better in your situation. Keep in mind that if the asian jasmine gets established, you will need a backhoe or excavator to remove it in a few years, if you decide you don't like it.

The Asian jasmine looks a lot like periwinkle with the added benefit of being a climber. If its as invasive as periwinkle Id avoid it.

I find Dwarf_Japgarden_Juniper better at keeping the weeds out Than the blue rug juniper. I like the looks of both and have them both in my rock gardens. I think blue rug grows a little faster.
Dwarf Japgarden Juniper (Juniperus procumbens 'Nana') in Burlington Waterdown Dundas Ontario Ontario ON at Connon Nurseries
Juniperus procumbens 'Nana' from NVK Nurseries