Box scraper vs. rear blade for this type of road work

/ Box scraper vs. rear blade for this type of road work #11  
I have three implements that are used on my mile long gravel driveway. HD Rhino rear blade, Bush Hog ROBB and Land Pride LPGS.

I have found that there is no one implement that is best for everything. However - there IS one universal truth here. BUY HEAVY or be content with simply playing games.

The rear blade clears winter snow and clean the ditches. It is a learning process when used to maintain the crown. Forty plus years with a rear blade and I'm still learning. It just simply is not the easiest implement to use well. I've added a hydraulic top link and that helped a whole lot.

The ROBB( roll over box blade) is used to move material.

The LPGS( land plane grading scraper ) is used to repair pot holes and keep the surface smooth.

My LPGS and ROBB both have scarifiers. This is important for pothole repair, erosion, etc.

To the poster - I would be VERY CAREFUL about all your stated "in-slope"creations. The water MUST find an acceptable means of exiting the driven surface AND the road side ditching. Otherwise, you are simply creating muddy messes and more work for yourself.

Especially in hilly, mountainous terrain - a simple mistake and you could, quite easily, loose the entire road - at that spot.

That wheeled box blade might be a good implement for your use. I would also recommend a LPGS - once the road is in the condition you want.

Do you have winter snows to contend with. That's another completely separate situation.

Suggestion - what are others in your area doing about driveway maintenance and how do their driveways look.

/ Box scraper vs. rear blade for this type of road work #12  
A blade is nice for spreading. If I wanted only a single tool I'd probably go with a box blade with scarifier.

If you are doing a lot of ditches a hydraulic ditching V-blade works well.

/ Box scraper vs. rear blade for this type of road work #13  
Rear blade with gauge wheels.

If moving material is a priority the bucket will do it much better than a box blade.

/ Box scraper vs. rear blade for this type of road work #14  
I have a box blade, but my new Grader scraper all the way.

/ Box scraper vs. rear blade for this type of road work #15  
I have a Woods box scraper that really only gets used when I re-stone my driveway every few years. A hydraulic top link is really the key to efficient usage of a box scraper (and I don't have one yet), and there is a bit of a learning curve to using one properly. But once you figure out how to run it, it's a very effective tool. I've used it for everything from filling ruts and smoothing out part of my hay field to cleaning/reshaping drainage swales and leveling/smoothing dry lots.

That said, I would also like to have a grader which is clearly the better tool for road maintenance, but have a hard time justifying the cost for something I do only every 2-3 years.