Brakes on 2600 series HD Tractors

/ Brakes on 2600 series HD Tractors
Milkman -- I have a set of manuals on order. Valuable comment on the 15 degree test for adjusted free play.

Update: Dealer has had another case of similar problem with 2600 series brakes. Regional rep been involved. As some of you suggested there was a linkage adjustment and then a bleeding of the lines (just in case, I do not think that was the problem.) Plan is to walk me through the procedure using a local tractor and then I do it on my tractor (300+ miles away from the dealer.)

/ Brakes on 2600 series HD Tractors #13  
On very steep slopes with the 400 and 500 series tractor braking can be improved by adding an additional brake disc on both sides. I think there was a service bulletin on this. That would probalby work on the tractor you have as well - I beleive it just required installing a thinner spacer to off set the thickness of adding an addition braek disk. Be sure there isn't air trapped in the equalizer.

Update on MF 2660 brake issues:
1) Adjusting the linkage (all the way from where it was at delivery in to where the machine would not even move, in 1/4 turn increments) had no effect. No improvement when optimally adjusted.
2) Bled the brakes. No effect. (I knew that was not it but just did it to be complete.)
3) Found out that essentially ALL 2650/60/70/80 tractors have the disease. It is clearly a design issue, not a single case. Massey has chosen (so far) not to put out a bulletin to all dealers but have discussed it in dealer meetings in some regions.

The standard level of brakes is with 4 discs (see 4 large notches in the disc whose edge shows in the rear axles, each side.) The service manual describes 3 versions existing: 3,4 and 5 disc models.

Massey service rep has agreed to put a 5th disc in mine on both sides. Found many users in hill country (e.g. W.Va. etc.) have done this.

Many believe (and the service rep admits) that the equalizer valve between left and right systems can also be a factor in limiting brake effectiveness. I will have the extra disc added and if that does not do it, I'll get the equalizer bypassed.

My guess is that the 5 disc system will be OK -- I certainly hope so.

Note: I standardized testing on a 40% slope which was handy. A 40% slope is fairly steep but nowhere near as steep as many people find themselves when cutting pasture fields, etc. in hilly country. On that slope the "as delivered" 4 disc system will not hold the tractor and lets the wheels slowly roll no matter how much weight you put on the brakes (well, up to my 215 lbs.)

Separate thread: Fuel starvation on the 40% slope.

I have a new (made in 2010) MF2660LP tractor. The brakes are inadequate. They will not hold the machine on a very steep grade with a 215lb man putting all the weight he reasonably can on the pedals. For example, you cannot drag the wheels on a steep downhill. You dare not start up or down a steep grade without being in 4wd as the engine is your only hope of controlling the machine. The "parking brake" is also a disaster in that it takes a weight lifting hero to engage the parking brake and an even bigger guy to unlock it. The parking brake will NOT hold the machine against a moderately steep hill.

Note: The issue does NOT appear to be bleeding the brakes (though I have yet to try that) because both brakes feel and act identically and are totally different hydraulic systems left and right. Isolated. Also, the pedals do NOT feel soft or spongy.

The tractor has only about 6 or 8 hours on it.

I assume these to be design flaws. Comment ?

-------------------------------

An update:

After a 7 week delay Massey came up with enough brake discs to convert my 2660 from a 4 disc system to a 5 disk system. The parts people insisted they could not find the discs to do the mod in that period of time (!) Note that these tractors (according to the shop manual) are produced with 3, 4 and 5 disc brakes. That is, wet brakes with that many discs on each side. Notches in the edge of a wafer showing at the rear of the axle indicate how many discs are in there. Most are apparently 4 disc systems (I've never seen anything else at dealers...) . I pity anyone with a 3 disc system ! The problem has utterly no thing to do with adjustment.

I tested the "new" 5 disc configuration on a 50% slope in 4WD with enough traction to stay put. Now it WILL stop the wheels from turning. Previously with a 4 disc system you could not totally stop the wheels from turning on even a 40% slope. In my opinion the pedal force required is still higher than it should be, but at least now a 215lb person CAN stop the thing. I rate them adequate now.

Further to note: Another 2660 was in the same shop for the same modification. Obviously this is a design issue, NOT a single tractor problem. Also, the procedure includes bypassing/defeating the "equalizer" between left and right brakes besides conversion to a 5 disc system.

I'd love to meet the boardroom executive in Massey who decided it was a good idea to put marginal brakes on most of the tractors and then convert them to good brakes in case someone complains ! How on earth do you justify making 3 grades of brakes !?

/ Brakes on 2600 series HD Tractors #16  
I don't imagine massey does this mod on their own dime? Lol